Following labour market events is key to helping job seekers understand where the opportunities (short, medium and long-term) might be in a local community and elsewhere in the country.
The following table presents local and regional labour market events and announcements for the selected Province or Territory which can complement your job search and career exploration.
Week of Jan 09 - Jan 13, 2017
- Honda of Canada Mfg. is investing $492M, with help from the governments of Canada and Ontario, to upgrade its Alliston facility
- Millennium Process Group Inc. will open a client contact centre in Sudbury and begin recruiting for 250 customer service, leadership and corporate support staff. Some positions are expected to start as early as February.
- Nemak of Canada Corporation, an automotive component manufacturer, in partnership with Arbec Tool and Machine Ltd., will receive up to $3M from the Government of Canada towards the development of engine blocks and potentially create up to 70 jobs
- Construction began on a $32.1 million inter-regional transit terminal in Vaughan. Completion is scheduled by end of 2017 and will connect York Region Transit busses with the Toronto Transit Commission subway line.
- Georgian College, with help from the governments of Canada and Ontario, and the City of Barrie and Simcoe County, is investing nearly $30 million towards construction of an Advanced Technology, Innovation and Research Centre in Barrie
- Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, with help from the governments of Canada and Ontario, will invest over $30M to improve energy efficiency at its facilities, repurpose the Peters Building, and support various programs
- The University of Windsor, with help from the governments of Canada and Ontario, will invest over $30M to establish a new Science Research and Innovation Facility
- Nordstrom Rack, a fashion retailer will open a 35,000-sq.-ft. location at Mississauga¿s Heartland Town Centre in fall 2018
- St. Clair College, with help from the governments of Canada and Ontario, is investing approximately $7.8M towards renovating its facilities in Windsor and establishing a National Powerline Training Centre at its Chatham campus
- Miller Thomson LLP, a business law firm will be opening a new office in the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre in spring 2017
- Alfidome Construction Limited has begun installation of water and sewer lines on Memorial Park Drive in east Welland, working towards building the Canal View Heights subdivision
- Barney¿s Bargain Home Store will open in Little Current in February and hopes to create about 10 jobs and office space for Homeland Missions and Cornerstone Christian Assembly
- Raffi Jewellers, a luxury jewelry and watch retailer has opened a new Rolex boutique in Mississauga¿s Square One Shopping Centre
- St. Clair College is recruiting up to eight full and part-time instructors and technologists for the new National Powerline Training Centre at the colleges Chatham campus
- Trap Door London, an escape room entertainment business, will open on February 10, 2017 in London
- Sper Food & Farm, a gourmet restaurant, recently opened in Warkworth, County of Northumberland
- Meyers Transport Ltd is shutting down its operations affecting 27 jobs including 18 drivers, dock workers, and administrative staff in Peterborough
- BOX, a discount grocery retailer owned by Loblaws Inc. has closed its Orléans store in Ottawa
- Don Cherry's Sports Grill in Nepean has closed resulting in 25 layoffs
- Atlantic Power Corporation is closing its North Bay natural gas power plant affecting 11 workers. The company has also begun shutting down its Kapuskasing power plant and has suspended operations at its plant in Nipigon.
Week of Jan 02 - Jan 06, 2017
- Rankin Construction Inc. was awarded a maintenance contract for work on the Welland Canal's Carlton Street bridge that should last four months. The contract is part of a $50M investment from the St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corp.
- Richemont, a Swiss-based luxury goods holding company, will be opening four boutiques at Toronto's Yorkdale Shopping Centre in 2017: Piaget, IWC Schaffhausen, Vacheron Constantin, and Officine Panerai
- The Hanover Mall will undergo renovations starting this spring and will add a new standalone Tim Hortons restaurant
- Managed Network Systems Inc., an internet and telephone service provider, will spend approximately $5M in 2017 to expand the company's fibre optic infrastructure in Windsor and surrounding areas
- Horizon Utilities Corporation completed a $4.8M second phase of the hydro systems modernization project in St. Catharines
- Construction on Penetanguishene's Main Street is scheduled to begin early this year. The $4.6M redevelopment project is expected to be largely completed by the end of 2017.
- East Elgin Concrete Forming Limited was awarded a $1.4M contract by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to complete pier repairs in Port Dover
- The Ancaster Aquatic Centre closed to undergo a $1.2M renovation and expects to re-open in the fall
- The Nishnawbe Aski Police Service has hired eight officers to be stationed in several northern First Nations
- Van Cleef & Arpels, a Paris-based luxury jeweller will be opening its first Toronto location at Yorkdale Shopping Centre in spring 2017
- The City of St. Thomas is accepting applications for Summer Student Positions until February 28, 2017
- Brick Brewing Co. Limited is shutting down its Formosa Springs Brewery in Bruce County and investing $4M to expand and improve its operations in Kitchener by July 2017
- The Fresco Bistro Italiano restaurant on Ottawa's Elgin Street has closed
Week of Dec 26 - Dec 30, 2016
- ATS Automation Tooling Systems Inc. signed a $40M agreement with Bruce Power to supply services for the Bruce Power¿s Life Extension Program
- PetSmart Inc. opened 43 stores across Canada and the U.S. in 2016 including one in the Beach neighbourhood of Toronto
- Metro Inc., a grocery retailer, is investing $16M to upgrade and renovate two existing Oakville store locations and expects to complete the renovations in 2017
- Four new restaurants opened in downtown London: Chuck¿s Roadhouse Bar and Grill, Firehouse Subs, South St. Burger, and Chipotle Mexican Grill
- The Wolfe of Wortley restaurant opened in London in July of 2016
- Rally Engineering Inc., an Edmonton-based engineering firm, has opened a permanent office in downtown Sarnia and will hold a job fair on January 12th to recruit engineers and other professionals
- Country of Brant will be staffing 10 various positions in 2017
- Unforgettable, a bridal boutique, opened in January in North Bay with six employees
- The City of Windsor is accepting submissions for its 2017 Summer Student Lottery Program by January 27th
- Freedom Mobile Inc. will hold a job fair at the Holiday Inn in Downtown Windsor on January 10th to recruit full-time customer service agents
- Honest Ed's, a bargain department store in Toronto closed in December
Week of Dec 19 - Dec 23, 2016
- The Government of Ontario will hire 239 new staff to increase supports for inmates including correctional officers, mental health nurses, social workers, recreational staff, psychologists and institutional managers
- Diamond Aircraft Industries Inc., will transfer research, design, and production of larger planes to the London plant. The company, which employs 150 workers, hopes to double its workforce over the next 18 months.
- Niagara College has received $7.3M from the Government of Canada to create the Southern Ontario Network for Advanced Manufacturing and Innovation (SONAMI). The college will partner with Mohawk College, Sheridan College and McMaster University to create or maintain 186 jobs
- The governments of Canada and Ontario are each investing up to $47.5M into the expansion of Highway 417 and rehabilitation of Merivale Road Bridge
- Stanpac Inc., a dairy and beverage packaging manufacturer, will invest$45.6M, with the help from the Government of Canada, to increase production capacity at its Smithville facilities, creating 50 new permanent manufacturing jobs
- Conestoga College received $15.8M from the governments of Canada and Ontario towards a $43.5M expansion of the college's North campus in Waterloo. The project is expected to take under two years to complete.
- A Harvey's and Swiss Chalet combined restaurant will open in Timmins in January 2017 on Algonquin Blvd., creating 45 jobs
- The Government of Ontario will invest over $2.6M to improve access to health care services and hospitals in the Northumberland County. A portion of the funding will go towards the creation of a new Palliative Care Community Team.
- Blackberry Ltd., has opened the BlackBerry QNX Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Centre (AVIC) at its Ottawa facility and plans to hire local software engineers
- Dajcor Aluminum Ltd., a manufacturer of aluminum components, will invest $10.3M, with help from the Government of Canada, to increase capacity at its facility in Chatham and create 20 full-time jobs
- Construction has begun on the $3.5M project for two St. Catharine's parks: Port Dalhousie's Lakeside Park and West Park in Western Hill
- Inglot USA LLC, a cosmetics brand, will open two new Canadian INGLOT Cosmetics locations early next year in London and Hamilton
- Lululemon Athletica Inc., a sports apparel retailer has opened its first Canadian men's concept store on Ossington Ave. in Toronto
- Vancouver-based RIDE Cycle Club, a fitness studio offering spin classes, will open in Toronto's Ossington neighborhood in February 2017
- Friday Harbour Resorts Inc. will hold job fairs on January 12th and 14th at the Innisfil Recreational Complex for various positions at its all season Big Bay Point resort by Lake Simcoe
- The Canada Post Summer Student Program is taking applications for various job openings until February 9, 2017
- Greenstone Gold Mines has ended the exploration phase of its Hardrock mine site in Geraldton, in the Thunder Bay District, and will lay off 30 workers in early 2017 as it begins the permitting and environmental assessment phase
- Obsidian Group Inc., a hospitality management company, closed Burger 33 and The Coffee Culture Café and Eatery in Chatham in December. Closure of Burger 33 affected approximately 10 employees.
- Spago Trattoria E Pizzeria will open at Caesars Windsor in spring 2017
Want to find out more about local or provincial labour market history? The labour market news archive may be a good place to start.
In this section, you can browse archived news titles, whose links are no longer functional, for up to one year from the current date. The archived news can help you understand the labour market trends in geographic areas and industries that are of interest to you.
HGS Canada Inc. plans to hire 1,225 customer service representatives in Canada, including 75 in North Bay. The company is also recruiting in Windsor and Pembroke
Feihe International Inc., a China-based manufacturer of infant formula, is opening a facility in Kingston by 2019. It is expected to create about 1,000 jobs during construction and 200 full-time jobs when completed.
The Government of Canada will invest $15M in stone-based product manufacturer Hanwha L&C Canada Inc. in London creating over 85 jobs
Radial, an e-commerce company, plans to hire 20,000 seasonal workers across Canada, including 95 seasonal jobs at its Mississauga fulfillment centre
The Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario will contribute $9.5M toward a $18.6M project at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay to support new laboratories and research facilities at its Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering and Science.
The Government of Canada and Government of Ontario will jointly invest $9.9M towards the modernization of existing facilities at Sutherland Campus in Peterborough and at the Frost Campus in Lindsay. The projects are expected to create about 250 jobs.
Kitchener-based Flanagan Foodservice, a food industry supplier has started construction on a $20M distribution centre in Whitby. When completed in 2017 it will employ more than 100 warehouse employees and delivery drivers.
Sutherland Global Services is looking to fill about 200 vacancies at its call centre in Windsor. The company is hiring customer service and technical support representatives.
Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd. will open a new store in Waterloo on November 8th, creating about 200 jobs
Bruce Power and SNC-Lavalin signed a framework agreement of up to $400M that will create about 150 jobs in Mississauga and another 900 direct and indirect jobs across Ontario. Work on the Bruce Power refurbishment project is scheduled to begin in 2020.
The Government of Canada and Western University will invest $45M each to support the construction of two new facilities, the Western Interdisciplinary Research Building and Three C+ (Connect, Collaborate and Create) Innovation Centre
GoodLife Fitness Centres Inc. will add 600 jobs nationally by August 2017 as it is launching 15 new GoodLife clubs, about half of which will be across Ontario
The Government of Canada's Department of National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces is planning to increase its workforce by about 10 per cent over the next year with a focus on procurement staff
Vistaprint, a maker of custom-printed products in Tecumseh, is hiring 300 part-time seasonal workers for the months of November and December
Amazon.com, Inc. has opened an 850,000 sq. ft. robotic distribution centre in Brampton and expects to create more than 500 full-time jobs
Clothing retailer Roots Canada plans to open 14 Canadian locations over the next two years and renovate and enlarge several stores. The impact on its Ontario operations is not yet known.
As part of a forestry sector pilot project, the Government of Ontario will provide $4.5M to assist FPInnovations in Thunder Bay build a new bio-refinery plant to expedite the mass production and commercialization of green bio-chemicals derived from wood
CF Rideau Centre shopping centre in downtown Ottawa has opened its four-level 230,000 sq.-ft. expansion which includes more than 20 new retailers and anchor store La Maison Simons
K-Mobile, a Canadian mobile retailer, opened its first flagship store in Toronto's East York Town Centre. It plans to expand to 250 stores across the Greater Toronto Area and hire 1,000 employees, including 100 Syrian refugees.
Plans to redevelop the Port of Algoma in Sault Ste. Marie as an International Marine Gateway for commercial cargo continue. Port construction is expected to create about 1,350 full-time jobs and 250 permanent jobs once operational.
Bioindustrial Innovation Canada (BIC) received a $12M investment from the Government of Canada to support the clean technologies industrial sector in Sarnia-Lambton, creating an estimated 478 jobs
A French luxury brand, Saint Laurent Paris (formerly Yves Saint Laurent), will open a store at Toronto's Yorkdale Shopping Centre this fall
York University and partners, Southlake Regional Health Centre and the University Health Network will receive $15M from the Government of Canada to develop new patient-centred health-care technologies, resulting in roughly 128 full-time equivalent jobs
BWXT Canada Ltd. secured a $130M contract from Bruce Power to design and manufacture eight steam generators for Bruce B Unit 6 in Tiverton, Ontario. This contract will secure over 100 jobs in engineering and skilled labour in the Cambridge region.
Goodwill Industries, Ontario Great Lakes will reopen an unspecified number of stores throughout Ontario, potentially creating as many as 500 jobs in the next five years
Pillar5 Pharma Inc., an Arnprior-based manufacturer of over-the-counter eye and ear products, will invest $4M in new equipment to increase productivity. This investment will create 50 permanent jobs over the next two years.
The Government of Ontario will invest $26.9M to replace the Tiffin St. overpass and repair the Barrie-Collingwood overpass along Highway 400. Construction will begin in July and continue until fall 2018, creating around 270 jobs.
The provincial government is investing over $1B towards the City of Ottawa's Light Rail Transit expansion. The two-stage project is expected to create approximately 1,000 full-time jobs, add 30km of new rail, 19 new stations and be completed in 2023.
Minacs will be adding a total of 685 customer support representatives to its call centres in Hamilton, Niagara Falls, and Peterborough offices over the next five months
Bombardier Inc. will shift production on its Metrolinx contract from Sudbury to Kingston in October eliminating 60 jobs in Sudbury and adding jobs to its production line in Kingston. It will also add a second assembly line to produce TTC streetcars.
The acquisition of Radix Inc. by Active Industrial Solutions in Tecumseh is expected to create 400 new manufacturing jobs in advanced manufacturing technology
The Government of Ontario is investing $3M over four years to build the Centre of Excellence for the Commercialization of Sustainable Chemistry Innovations in Sarnia. This is expected to create 400 jobs in the biotechnology sector.
The Government of Ontario is investing $7.8M in seven automotive supply companies in the Windsor-Essex region, creating 270 jobs and retaining more than 1,180 positions
The provincial government will invest $39.2M in four highway projects in northwestern Ontario to be completed by Pioneer Construction Inc. and Miller Northwest Ltd. Work will begin this spring and be complete by fall 2016.
Ground breaking took place for the Ontario Gaming East Limited Partnership new Shorelines Casino in Belleville, a $40M construction project, on April 27. This new 48,000-sq.-ft. gaming facility, set to open in 2017, is expected to create 300+ jobs.
FedDev Ontario will invest up to $4.87M into Flying Colours Corp. to build a 100,000-sq.-ft. hangar at the Peterborough Airport. This project is expected to create up to 50 manufacturing, engineering, management and technical field full-time jobs.
The Government of Ontario is investing up to $12M into Thales in Canada for their urban railway signaling project. The project is expected to create 126 jobs in Ontario while retaining another 963 at its Toronto office over five years.
Samsung Renewable Energy, Inc. and Connor, Clark & Lunn Infrastructure started construction on the Windsor Solar project. Completion is expected by the end of 2016 and will create up to 225 construction jobs.
The Government of Ontario will invest $12B into building or redeveloping Ontario hospital infrastructure over the next decade
The Independent Electricity System Operator has selected 11 companies to build 16 renewable energy projects in the province, which include five new wind, seven solar, and four hydroelectric projects
Sobeys Inc. opened its Foodland grocery store in a new location in Elliott Lake in April. The store added 52 new staff in addition to the 47 employees transferred from the previous site.
Construction started on the first of 25 Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit (LRT) stations in Toronto. The $5.3B LRT project is scheduled to be completed by 2021 and is expected to employ approximately 2,500 workers at the peak of construction.
Bioenterprise Corporation and Innovation Guelph have entered into $8M joint initiative with funding from the Government of Canada to assist early stage companies, creating 230 full-time jobs in the Guelph-Wellington area
Fashion retailer, Nordstrom, Inc. is hiring 104 managers starting March 3, 2016, for its stores opening in Toronto's Eaton Centre and Yorkdale Shopping Centre this fall. The company will hire an additional 1,600 sales and support staff in May.
The Government of Canada will double its investment in the Canada Summer Jobs wage subsidy program, helping to create up to 70,000 summer jobs for youth aged 15-30. The application deadline for employers is extended to March 11, 2016.
Home Depot Canada is hiring about 2,700 associates across the province for the spring season
Lowe's Companies Canada, ULC, will hire 3,000 new seasonal employees across its existing 42 stores in Canada and the six new stores that are set to open by mid-2016. Job-seekers can apply in-person on its National Hiring Day on March 5, 2016, or online.
General Motors of Canada Ltd. is hiring over 100 assembly line and skilled trade workers for its CAMI Assembly plant in Ingersoll
After receiving a pre-approval license from Health Canada, WeedMD is opening a medical marijuana facility in Aylmer, near London. The company expects to hire as many as 100 workers over the next two years.
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
(To access archived Labour Market Bulletins not appearing on this webpage, please contact us).
- November 2016 | (PDF, 287 KB)
- October 2016 | (PDF, 287 KB)
- September 2016 (quarterly edition) | (PDF, 351 KB)
- August 2016 | (PDF, 612 KB)
- July 2016 | (PDF, 364 KB)
- June 2016 (quarterly edition) | (PDF, 772 KB)
- May 2016 | (PDF, 296 KB)
- April 2016 | (PDF, 299 KB)
- March 2016 (quarterly edition) | (PDF, 280 KB)
- February 2016 | (PDF, 277 KB)
- January 2016 | (PDF, 248 KB)
- Annual Edition 2015 | (PDF, 344 KB)
- December 2015 (quarterly edition) | (PDF, 647 KB)
- November 2015 | (PDF, 248 KB)
- October 2015 | (PDF, 248 KB)
- September 2015 (quarterly edition) | (PDF, 647 KB)
- August 2015 | (PDF, 588 KB)
- July 2015 | (PDF, 683 KB)
- June 2015 (quarterly edition) | (PDF, 683 KB)
- Annual Edition 2014 | (PDF, 687 KB)
Sectoral Profiles provide an overview of recent labour market developments and outlooks for some of the key industries in various regions of the country.
- Accommodation and Food Services | (PDF, 501 KB)
- Construction | (PDF, 489 KB)
- Agriculture - Crop and Animal Production, and Related Support Activitie | (PDF, 552 KB)
- Educational Services | (PDF, 557 KB)
- Finance, Insurance, Real Estate, Rental and Leasing | (PDF, 557 KB)
- Food, Beverage and Tobacco Processing | (PDF, 514 KB)
- Health Care and Social Assistance | (PDF, 583 KB)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction | (PDF, 558 KB)
- Motor Vehicle, Body, Trailer and Parts Manufacturing | (PDF, 557 KB)
- Professional, Technical and Scientific Services | (PDF, 499 KB)
- Retail Trade | (PDF, 246 KB)
- Transportation and Warehousing | (PDF, 215 KB)