Applying for a job involves three steps:
Step 1) Develop a résumé
A Definition ofrésumé or curriculum vitae (c.v.) is an important tool when you look for a job. A résumé tells an employer who you are, what you have done in the past, what your qualifications are, and why you want the job.
Résumés may include information like contact information, job goal, education, work experience, and references. For more information on writing a résumé, the Youth Canada website has great content useful for everyone!
Step 2) Prepare a cover letter
A Definition ofcover letter is your introduction to a potential employer. A cover letter should be concise, well-written and tailored to a company and job. This may mean that you prepare a different résumé and cover letter for each job.
For more information on how to write your own cover letter, the Youth Canada website has great content useful for everyone!
Step 3) Research the company and the job
- What does the employer or company do?
- What is involved in the position you are applying for?
- What qualifications do you need for the position?
- What skills is the employer looking for?
- Who are the customers or clients?
- What kind of reputation does the employer have?