Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Bookkeepers maintain complete sets of books, keep records of accounts, verify the procedures used for recording financial transactions, and provide personal bookkeeping services. They are employed throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed.
- Keep financial records and establish, maintain and balance various accounts using manual and computerized bookkeeping systems
- Post journal entries and reconcile accounts, prepare trial balance of books, maintain general ledgers and prepare financial statements
- Calculate and prepare cheques for payrolls and for utility, tax and other bills
- Complete and submit tax remittance forms, workers' compensation forms, pension contribution forms and other government documents
- Prepare tax returns and perform other personal bookkeeping services
- Prepare other statistical, financial and accounting reports.
Outlook & Prospects for Bookkeepers in Mauricie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Mauricie Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2013-01-16|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Mauricie region are expected to be good for this occupation.
There are approximately 375 jobs in this occupational group in the Mauricie region. Over the next few years, openings will mostly arise from the need to fill vacancies left by people retiring and turnover in this occupational group. Only a few new jobs will be added. In the Mauricie region, nearly one third of the workers in this occupational group are over 50 years of age. Barely 10% of the labour force in this occupational group is under 25 years of age. There is week representation of men in this occupational group, with males holding some 12% of the jobs in this group.
Office automation has largely contributed to modifying the duties of this occupation. Use of accounting software has improved efficiency and broadened the administrative tasks of bookkeepers.
According to the 2006 Census data, the jobs in this occupational group in the Mauricie region are found mostly in the service sector (about 83%). The second largest employment area is the manufacturing sector (13%), and the third largest is construction (4%). About one quarter of the labour force in this occupational group in the Mauricie region is self-employed.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Mar 24 - Mar 28, 2014
- A new $6M rest area in the Sainte-Marthe-du-Cap area of Trois-Rivières will create over a hundred jobs during and after construction (available in French only)
- Right on time, complex Les Haltes du Roi, achieved by Construction Courschesnes of Trois-Rivières, should include 9 buildings of 6 units each, which will contribute to the creation of a hundred-some jobs in construction (available in French only)
- In Shawinigan, the Epsilia software design firm expects a major increase in sales that could lead to 20 new hires within three years (available in French only)
- In Shawinigan, online game developer Alchemic Dream expects to hire another twenty or so employees by the end of the year (available in French only)
- Following a three-year research project on biorefinery processes, which came with a $506,000 grant, three jobs will be maintained at Shawinigan¿s National Center for Electrochemistry and Environmental Technologies and two new jobs will be created (available in French only)
- Date Modified: