Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Labourers in this unit group remove excess metal and unwanted materials from metal parts, castings and other metal products and perform other labouring activities. They are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants, heavy machinery manufacturing plants, sheet metal fabrication shops, shipbuilding and other metal products manufacturing companies.
chipper-grinder, forge helper, grinder-deburrer, labourer – metal fabrication, metal cleaner, metalworking machine helper, plater helper, shipfitter helper, shotblaster, wheelabrator operator.
- Read and interpret work orders
- Operate metal cleaning equipment such as wheelabrators, deburrers and shotblasters to remove excess welds, rust, scale and other material from surfaces of metal parts, castings and other metal products
- Polish metal products to mirror finish
- Immerse metal products in cleaning solutions
- Assist structural steel and platework fitters, sheet metal workers, metalworking machine operators or other metal workers
- Transport raw materials and finished metal products manually or using hoists or other devices
- Sort metal sheets and parts, scrap metal and other materials
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Load and unload vehicles using hand truck or dolly
- May cut, grind or chip excess metal from metal products using hand tools.
Outlook & Prospects for Labourers in Metal Fabrication in Mauricie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Mauricie Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2012-11-23|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Mauricie region are expected to be limited for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 14 - Jul 18, 2014
- Lac-Édouard's historic sanatorium will be given a second lease on life, with a large-scale strawberry production, and some 10 people that may work there next year (available in French only)
- Built for $600,000 in Trois-Rivières, a Harvey's restaurant was inaugurated on July 6: it will employ 35 workers (available in French only)
- Three Coopératives Jeunesse de services in the Centre-de-la-Mauricie will provide work to 39 young people this summer (available in French only)
- Close to 620 jobs will be created or maintained, thanks to the Ministère des Transports du Québec's investment of $81.6M in Mauricie roads for the 2014-2016 period (available in French only)
- Trois-Rivières' Kruger should fill at least 80 positions left vacant by retirees within five years, and the next wave of retirements is scheduled for 2015. The plant is partnering with Cégep de Trois-Rivières to offer a one-year study program starting in 2014. (available in French only)
- In Trois-Rivières, Librairie Morin and Café Morgane will be closing their doors by the end of July, and 37 employees will be out of work (available in French only)
- Fifteen young persons will have summer jobs in eight of the ten Mékinac RCMs, as part of the Desjardins Jeunes au travail project, led by Carrefour Jeunesse Emploi Mékinac (available in French only)
- Date Modified: