Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Labourers in this unit group remove excess metal and unwanted materials from metal parts, castings and other metal products and perform other labouring activities. They are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants, heavy machinery manufacturing plants, sheet metal fabrication shops, shipbuilding and other metal products manufacturing companies.
chipper-grinder, forge helper, grinder-deburrer, labourer – metal fabrication, metal cleaner, metalworking machine helper, plater helper, shipfitter helper, shotblaster, wheelabrator operator.
- Read and interpret work orders
- Operate metal cleaning equipment such as wheelabrators, deburrers and shotblasters to remove excess welds, rust, scale and other material from surfaces of metal parts, castings and other metal products
- Polish metal products to mirror finish
- Immerse metal products in cleaning solutions
- Assist structural steel and platework fitters, sheet metal workers, metalworking machine operators or other metal workers
- Transport raw materials and finished metal products manually or using hoists or other devices
- Sort metal sheets and parts, scrap metal and other materials
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Load and unload vehicles using hand truck or dolly
- May cut, grind or chip excess metal from metal products using hand tools.
Outlook & Prospects for Labourers in Metal Fabrication in Mauricie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Mauricie Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2012-11-23|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Mauricie region are expected to be limited for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Apr 07 - Apr 11, 2014
- The Gexel call centre in Trois-Rivières wishes to add another 40-some employees to its current 130 workers (available in French only)
- By the summer, thirty-some people should be working at the new Desjardins call centre in Trois-Rivières (available in French only)
- Built for $5M, the RécréOFUN amusement park and the Pas-à-pas day-care centre will be open by November in Trois-Rivières, creating approximately 40 jobs (available in French only)
- On August 7, a new wave of approximately 40 layoffs will be taking place at the Rio Tinto Alcan aluminum smelter in Shawinigan, reducing the number of employees to around 80 (available in French only)
- A new $6M rest area in the Sainte-Marthe-du-Cap area of Trois-Rivières will create over a hundred jobs during and after construction (available in French only)
- The Cargair flying school will be moving to Trois-Rivières on April 1st (available in French only)
- The Centre de santé et des Services sociaux de l'Énergie, in Shawinigan, is eliminating 15 of the 40 positions at the Centre Parents-Enfants (available in French only)
- Date Modified: