Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Retail trade managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of establishments that sell merchandise or services on a retail basis. Retail trade managers are employed by retail sales establishments or they may own and operate their own store.
antique dealer, assistant manager – retail, bookstore manager, car dealership manager, clothing store manager, department store manager, pleasure boat dealer, service station manager, sporting goods store manager, store manager – retail, supermarket manager, travel agency manager, variety store manager.
- Plan, direct and evaluate the operations of establishments engaged in retail sales or of departments in such establishments
- Manage staff and assign duties
- Study market research and trends to determine consumer demand, potential sales volumes and effect of competitors' operations on sales
- Determine merchandise and services to be sold, and implement price and credit policies
- Locate, select and procure merchandise for resale
- Develop and implement marketing strategies
- Plan budgets and authorize expenditures
- Resolve customer complaints
- Determine staffing requirements and hire or oversee hiring of staff.
Outlook & Prospects for Retail Trade Managers in Prince Edward Island
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Prince Edward Island||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-03-08|
Employment prospects for retail trade managers are expected to be good in 2012-2013.
This is a large occupational group on PEI. As with most large occupations, there will be frequent job openings due to normal turnover.
There have been a number of advertised job openings in recent years and that is expected to continue. New opportunities are expected as construction continues on two new major retail developments in Charlottetown, the Northcom Business Centre and the Spencer Drive Plaza. These developments are expected to attract a number of new retail establishments to the city in 2012.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 07 - Jul 11, 2014
- According to the Department of Tourism and Culture, traffic on the Confederation Bridge was up by 9.2% in the month of May, compared to May 2013. The number of rooms sold was up by 8.1%, and the Charlottetown airport had a 3.5% increase in passengers.
- Due to a shortage of lifeguards on PEI, Red Point Provincial Park will not have any supervised lifeguard services this summer and lifeguards will only be on duty at Cabot Park from Thursdays to Sundays through the summer
- The provincial government will be introducing a water act that will provide sustainable management of water resources in PEI
- Martinique Wigs, a local wig retailer in Moncton, opened a second location in the Flair for Hair hair studio in Cornwall
- Yummy Naan Bakery has opened in Charlottetown.The bakery opened in April 2014 and serves traditional food from Iran.Two people are employed at the bakery.
- Date Modified: