Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Civil engineers plan, design, develop and manage projects for the construction or repair of buildings, earth structures, powerhouses, roads, airports, railways, rapid transit facilities, bridges, tunnels, canals, dams, ports and coastal installations and systems related to highway and transportation services, water distribution and sanitation. Civil engineers may also specialize in foundation analysis, building and structural inspection, surveying, geomatics and municipal planning. Civil engineers are employed by engineering consulting companies, in all levels of government, by construction firms and in many other industries, or they may be self-employed.
bridge engineer, civil engineer, construction engineer, environmental engineer, geodetic engineer, geomatics engineer, highway engineer, hydraulics engineer, municipal engineer, project engineer, construction, public works engineer, sanitation engineer, structural engineer, surveying engineer, traffic engineer, transportation engineer, water management engineer.
- Confer with clients and other members of the engineering team and conduct research to determine project requirements
- Plan and design major civil projects such as buildings, roads, bridges, dams, water and waste management systems and structural steel fabrications
- Develop construction specifications and procedures
- Evaluate and recommend appropriate building and construction materials
- Interpret, review and approve survey and civil design work
- Conduct field services for civil works
- Ensure construction plans meet guidelines and specifications of building codes and other regulations
- Establish and monitor construction work schedules
- Conduct feasibility studies, economic analyses, municipal and regional traffic studies, environmental impact studies or other investigations
- Monitor air, water and soil quality and develop procedures to clean up contaminated sites
- Conduct technical analyses of survey and field data for development of topographic, soil, hydrological or other information and prepare reports
- Act as project or site supervisor for land survey or construction work
- Prepare contract documents and review and evaluate tenders for construction projects
- Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers and review and approve designs, calculations and cost estimates.
Outlook & Prospects for Civil Engineers in Moncton--Richibucto Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Employment outlooks have been determined at the provincial level for New Brunswick.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 28 - Aug 01, 2014
- The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) has awarded $709,000 in funding to eight researchers and trainees in the fields of science and engineering at the Université de Moncton
- Toronto-based GuestLogix, makers of hand-held devices to process payments on airline flights, has opened a lab in Moncton which will focus on the research and development of new projects. The company currently has 12 staff in Moncton and hopes to expand to 35 in two years.
- Moncton-based Venn Innovation Inc. has received federal and provincial government funding for two projects which will benefit new NB knowledge-based companies and entrepreneurs by increasing their access to market intelligence and mentoring
- The Province of New Brunswick has awarded a $5M research grant to a consortium led by Moncton-based Gtech Canada ULC. The group will develop a technology platform to deliver game content across mobile, web-based, and land-based devices. The investment is expected to create more than 100 new jobs.
- GLI, an international company which tests electronic and lottery gaming equipment, will create 26 positions at its Moncton office by the end of 2015, with the assistance of a provincial payroll rebate program. Technical writers, sales development workers, project managers and information systems auditors will be among the positions created.
- Date Modified: