Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Court officers co-ordinate the administrative and procedural functions of federal, provincial and territorial courts, such as scheduling trials and overseeing the maintenance of court records. Justices of the peace administer oaths, issue subpoenas, summonses and warrants and perform other court-related duties such as conducting bail hearings. They are employed by federal and provincial courts.
Supreme Court registrar, administrator of the court, clerk of the court, co-ordinator of court services, commissioner of affidavits, commissioner of marriages, court administrator, court clerk supervisor, court officer, court registrar, deputy registrar, judicial administrator, judicial court administrator, judicial officer, justice of the peace, manager, court services, registrar of bankruptcy, trial co-ordinator.
- Co-ordinate administrative services and establish work priorities for court staff
- Schedule court trials and arrange pre-trial conferences and hearings
- Call courts of law to order, read charges and take pleas from defendants
- Record court commencement, trial proceedings and judgements
- Collect and record sheriff fees, transcription fees and other court administrative and services fees
- Oversee the maintenance of judicial court records
- Assist in preparing annual budgets
- May be justices of the peace.
- Issue subpoenas, summonses and warrants, including search warrants
- Receive affidavits, declarations and affirmations
- Administer oaths
- Conduct bail hearings
- Release defendants on judges' orders and explain rights and obligations
- Hear evidence at trials on summary conviction offences and may preside over trials of criminal offences at the discretion of the chief judge of the jurisdiction or as provided for in federal, provincial or territorial statutes
- Perform civil marriages.
Outlook & Prospects for Court Officers and Justices of the Peace in Montréal Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Montréal Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2014-07-21|
For the 2013-2015 period, job opportunities in the Montréal region are expected to be good for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 28 - Aug 01, 2014
- Technicolor, a visual effects company, announced the expansion of its studio in Montréal. This expansion will require the hiring of 220 workers within six months. (available in French only)
- The bookstore Chapters, located in downtown Montréal, will be closing its doors in October in an effort to rationalise the company. This closing follows two other closings in Toronto in the last month. (available in French only)
- Approximately 10 positions will be removed from CTV Montréal's television station in the coming months
- Les 7 doigts de la main, a company dedicated to circus arts, will be moving into the former Just for Laughs museum in Montréal. This project, estimated at close to $17M, will group together the company's creation and production activities. (available in French only)
- Tech Mahindra, an Indian company that specializes in manufacturing engineering related to the aerospace industry, announced that it was establishing its Canadian head office in Montréal and planning to create 300 jobs within three years (available in French only)
- LTA Aerostructures, a manufacturer of heavy and wide-load airships based in the United States, is moving to Montréal. A $90M investment will enable the company to create 180 jobs within three years. (available in French only)
- FusiA, a French company that manufactures metal parts through laser fusion for the aeronautics industry, will open a plant in Montréal and expects to create approximately 15 jobs within three years. (available in French only)
- Alta Précision, a Montréal manufacturer of landing gear for the aeronautics industry, obtained a significant contract with the aircraft manufacturer Embraer. This project will enable the creation of approximately 15 jobs. (available in French only)
- Clothing retailer Mexx laid off approximately 15 persons at its Canadian head office in Montréal following restructuring; the majority of the positions were cut in the purchasing department. (available in French only)
- Montréal flight simulator manufacturer CAE was awarded contracts totalling $110M across the world in the defence sector (available in French only)
- Institut Gingras-Lindsay, a rehabilitation centre for accident victims in Montréal, announced the abolishment of 20 positions (available in French only)
- The inauguration of a 74-unit public housing building, Les Habitations Ararat, took place in Laval (available in French only)
- Manufacturer of pharmaceutical hygiene and health products, Johnson & Johnson, a property of Energizer Holdings, announced the closure of its Montréal plant in 2017. Progressively and as of 2015, nearly 430 people will be affected by this measure. (available in French only)
- The City of Montréal announced the location of its organic matter processing centre. Initially scheduled to open in the Saint-Michel neighborhood, its new location will be built in the Rivière-des-Prairies neighborhood in 2019. (available in French only)
- The city of Montréal announced the construction of a municipal animal services centre. This project, estimated at $23M, will open in 2018 in the borough of Villeray-Saint-Michel-Parc-Extension. (available in French only)
- JetLine Aviation Services, an American company that provides new and spare parts to the aeronautics industry, will set up a shop in Montréal. Within three years, 13 jobs will be created. (available in French only)
- Bâtimo, a housing development company, announced the construction of a multi-residential building in Montréal, estimated at $26M (available in French only)
- Inception Sciences Montréal, a new biopharmaceutical incubator, was launched by venture capital firm Versant Ventures. Its goal is to help new companies in the life sciences field to accelerate their commercialization. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: