Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Railway track maintenance workers operate machines and equipment to lay, maintain and repair railway tracks. They are employed by railway transport companies.
ballast regulator operator – railway, equipment operator, railway, machine operator – railway, rail saw operator, section worker – railway, spike machine operator – railway, tie tamper operator – railway, track patroller, railway, trackman/woman, railway.
- Operate machines and equipment such as tie cutters, tie injectors, tie anchors, rail lifters, spike drivers, spike pullers, rail saws and tie cranes to lay, maintain and repair railway tracks
- Operate machines and equipment to align tracks, to transfer, spread, level and tamp ballast around ties and rails and to clear snow from tracks
- Clean and make minor repairs to machines and equipment
- Patrol assigned track sections to identify and report damaged or broken track
- Shovel ice and snow from track switch boxes
- Perform other track maintenance duties as directed.
Outlook & Prospects for Railway Track Maintenance Workers in Montréal Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Montréal Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-28|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the Montreal region with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Mar 31 - Apr 04, 2014
- Mercedes-Benz Canada will be opening a new dealership in the Pointe-aux-Trembles borough of Montréal by the end of 2014 (available in French only)
- The Intact tower, owned by Industrial Alliance in Montréal, is being renovated. The company is investing $35M to move its parking lot and renovate four floors of the building for 2015. (available in French only)
- TRU Simulation + Training, a new Montréal-based company that specializes in flight simulator training, is looking for more than 20 engineers. The company was previously known as Mechtronix. (available in French only)
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport announced the opening of 11 new commercial areas located in the public and international zones. These five stores and six restaurants have hired 200 employees. (available in French only)
- Air Canada rouge announced that it would be hiring over 100 flight attendants ahead of the opening of an operational base in Montréal (available in French only)
- Montréal's Pointe-à-Callière museum has announced an expansion project valued at an estimated $110M by 2017¿2018 (available in French only)
- Ivanhoe Cambridge is announcing an investment of nearly $800M in its Plan Montréal by 2016. The business will be investing in Place Ville Marie, renovate the Queen Elizabeth hotel and merge Eaton Centre with Complexe Les Ailes. (available in French only)
- Work on a corporate centre at the Saint-Laurent Campus of Technoparc Montréal has begun. This $30M project will be completed in 2015 and will be the corporate headquarters of Hospira. (available in French only)
- Underwear manufacturer Hanes-Canadelle will be closing its Canadian head office and distribution centre in Montréal by the end of 2014. This measure will lead to the loss of 170 jobs. (available in French only)
- Cadillac Fairview, a property development company, announced its four-phase plan to build seven new buildings in downtown Montréal: five residential towers and two office towers, representing a $2-billion investment (available in French only)
- BUF, a French enterprise that specializes in special effects, has announced the opening of a Montréal office. This project will lead to the creation of 125 jobs in the next three years. (available in French only)
- The Ville de Montréal will invest $11M in the next three years to modernize its aquatic facilities (available in French only)
- The Ville de Montréal has announced a $383M investment to repair roads and water pipes on its territory in 2014 (available in French only)
- Date Modified: