Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Included Cities in Region | Service Canada Offices
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
No employment outlook has been assigned to Desktop publishing operators and related occupations (NOC 1423) in the Halifax region due to low levels of employment.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jan 09 - Jan 13, 2017
- Dalhousie University has awarded contracts to Halifax area-based firms Allstar Rebar, LEAD Structural Formwork Ltd., and Quality Concrete for work related to the $64M project to construct two new academic buildings to open in 2018 on its Sexton Campus.
- The Government of Canada will invest $66M in the construction of a military armoury expected to be completed in 2018 in Willow Park in Halifax. Another $21M will also be spent on other military infrastructure upgrades in the city.
- Holiday Inn Harbourview in Dartmouth will close in January to undergo an $8M facelift, and reopen in May or June 2017 under the name Double Tree Suites by Hilton. Truro-based Maxim Construction will be the general contractor for the project.
- According to the Halifax International Airport Authority, some new restaurants and vendors are expected to be added at the airport over the next year
- A $20M construction renovation project will begin in February 2017 on the former coast guard property in Dartmouth to transform it into a collaborative ocean research and development facility. The building will be ready for use by the spring of 2018.
- Halifax Water will install automatic meters over a three year period, beginning in the spring of 2017. The water utility says this could result in a need for fewer workers to read meters, although the full impact on the workforce is uncertain.
- Junk Works, a franchise that removes and recycles or disposes of unwanted household items, has opened in the Halifax Metro area. The business has four employees, and plans to add another truck and at least two more employees over the next year.
- Susie's Shortbreads closed its retail outlet in December 2016 in Purdy's Wharf in downtown Halifax. The four part-time employees may still be able to work some hours at the company's main production facility and retail space at Bayers Lake in Halifax.
- The landmark Westin Nova Scotia hotel in Halifax will undergo $10M of renovations beginning in November 2017
- Construction is scheduled to start in 2017 and last until 2020 on The Promenade at Robie South, a $100M mixed use, two-tower development at the corner of Robie and College streets in Halifax
- Date modified: