Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Civil engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services to scientists, engineers and other professionals, or may work independently in fields such as structural engineering, municipal engineering, construction design and supervision, highways and transportation engineering, water resources engineering, geotechnical engineering and environmental protection. They are employed by consulting engineering and construction companies, public works, transportation and other government departments and in many other industries.
bridge design technician, building materials technician, civil engineering technician, civil engineering technologist, construction technologist, foundation technologist, highway technician, municipal engineering assistant, soil technologist – civil engineering, specifications writer, construction, structural design technologist, structural investigator.
- Develop engineering designs and drawings from preliminary concepts and sketches
- Prepare construction specifications, cost and material estimates, project schedules and reports
- Supervise or conduct field surveys, inspections or technical investigations of topography, soils, drainage and water supply systems, road and highway systems, buildings and structures to provide data for engineering projects
- Conduct or supervise inspection and testing of construction materials
- May supervise, monitor and inspect construction projects.
- Assist in developing engineering specifications and drawings
- Participate in field surveys, inspections or technical investigations of topography, soils, drainage and water supply systems, road and highway systems, buildings and structures to provide data for engineering projects
- Perform other technical functions in support of civil engineering activities.
Outlook & Prospects for Civil Engineering Technologists and Technicians in Halifax Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Nova Scotia.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Annapolis Valley Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2011-06-21|
|Cape Breton Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-12-16|
|Halifax Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-06-01|
|North Shore Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-06-09|
|Southern Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2011-09-08|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- June 2014 | (PDF, 616 KB)
- May 2014 | (PDF, 864 KB)
- April 2014 | (PDF, 864 KB)
- March 2014 | (PDF, 595 KB)
- February 2014 | (PDF, 595 KB)
- January 2014 | (PDF, 605 KB)
- Annual Edition 2013 | (PDF, 746 KB) new
- December 2013 | (PDF, 539 KB)
- November 2013 | (PDF, 540 KB)
- October 2013 | (PDF, 547 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 240 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 447 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 515 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 436 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 446 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 317 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 234 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 436 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 294 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 414 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 14 - Jul 18, 2014
- International health informatics and software development company Global Village Consulting Inc. hopes to create up to 25 positions in Halifax over five years with the help of a provincial payroll rebate. Consultants, human resources personnel, and systems experts will be among the positions.
- The Atlantic Innovation Fund will provide funding to a number of Nova Scotia companies for research into various areas, such as biomaterial and diagnostic products in health, light-blocking products for airplanes, and underwater sensors
- Toronto-based international law firm Torys LLP will open the Torys Legal Services Centre in Halifax in October. The company plans to recruit nationally, and will initially hire five lawyers, with plans to expand to 15.
- NTT Data Canada Inc., formerly Keane Canada Inc., will create up to 500 new information technology positions for its Halifax development centre over the next six years, with the help of a provincial payroll rebate
- Sydney-based Marcato Digital Solutions Ltd., which designs and sells software for musicians and festival operators, is looking to add four software developers to its team of 13. Due to difficulty attracting talent, the company is considering hiring developers in other parts of the world who would work remotely.
- Date Modified: