Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes amusement occupations such as operators of amusement rides, games and other attractions, and attendants in amusement, recreation and sports facilities who assist patrons, collect tickets and fees and supervise the use of recreational and sports equipment. They are employed by amusement parks, fairs, exhibitions, carnivals, arenas, billiard parlours, bowling alleys, golf courses, ski centres, tennis clubs, campgrounds and other recreational and sports facilities.
amusement attraction operator, amusement park attendant, amusement ride operator, athletic equipment custodian, billiard parlour attendant, bingo hall attendant, bowling alley attendant, campground attendant, game concession operator, ice maker, rink, recreation attendant, recreational facility attendant, ski lift attendant, sports attendant, tennis court attendant.
- Drive trucks, vans and other vehicles to transport amusement rides, games and other attractions to amusement attraction sites
- Set up rides, fun houses, game concessions and other amusement attractions
- Perform routine maintenance and safety inspections of attraction equipment
- Operate rides and other attractions, oversee game activities and ensure safety of participants
- Supervise amusement attraction attendants and may sell tickets.
- Collect tickets and fees, and rent or sell sports and accessory equipment
- Schedule the use of recreational facilities such as golf courses, tennis courts, bowling alleys, fitness clubs, campgrounds and other similar facilities
- Operate recreational facility equipment such as ski lifts, ice rink equipment and snow making machines
- Assist patrons on and off ski lifts and amusement park rides, secure and release safety belts and bars and monitor equipment to detect wear and damage.
- Clean and maintain recreational facilities and grounds.
Outlook & Prospects for Operators and Attendants in Amusement, Recreation and Sport in Halifax Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Halifax Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-06-21|
Currently the chances of qualified Operators and Attendants finding employment are considered to be fair in the local area. These occupations are often an entry level position for young people in the labour market. Opportunities are often seasonal, as tourism and summer recreation programs drive a significant portion of this type of employment in warmer months, and winter recreational activity creating some work in the winter months. Turnover accounts for many openings. Part time work is common for many of these occupations.
In addition to employment opportunities locally, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Operators and Attendants in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Operators and Attendants (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jan 20 - Jan 24, 2014
- A gaming centre with 45 video lottery terminals operated by the Shubenacadie Band has opened on reserve land near Hammonds Plains
- Revolution Fitness, a fitness centre, has opened at 112 Woodlawn Road in Dartmouth
- GoodLife Fitness continues to expand in Nova Scotia, with the opening of a fitness centre on Barrington Street in Halifax. The company now has 11 facilities in the Halifax area, and also locations in Truro, New Glasgow, and Antigonish.
- A business that offers high intensity fitness workouts to clients, 3rd Degree Training, has opened in Burnside Park in Dartmouth. The company also has two locations in Prince Edward Island.
- Date Modified: