Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Outlook & Prospects for Chemists in Halifax Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Halifax Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2015-05-29|
For the 2014-2016 period, the employment outlook is expected to be fair for Chemists (NOC 2112) in the Halifax region.
This outlook is the result of an analysis of a number of factors that influence employment prospects in this occupation. Some of the key findings are that:
- Employment is expected to decline.
- A moderate number of people are expected to retire.
- This occupation has recently experienced low levels of unemployment.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Aug 24 - Aug 28, 2015
- Cintamani, an outdoor apparel company, has opened in the Sunnyside Mall in Bedford. Brain Candy Toys and Fluffy Bottom Babies, two retailers of children's products, will open in the mall in October.
- Paysant Building Products Ltd. has acquired assets of Enfield Home Hardware Ltd., which closed in the spring. Paysant will reopen the store in the coming months and hire about 20 employees.
- The SIM Group, an international company that rents equipment to the film industry, will close its Halifax office by October. Six people will lose their jobs. The company blames a slowdown in the local film industry for the closure.
- Halifax experienced a large increase in construction starts from May to July compared to the same period in 2014. This may be attributable to projects delayed by severe winter weather.
- A new restaurant, Il Trullo Ristorante, opened in downtown Dartmouth
- Rogues Roost, a brew pub in downtown Halifax, will close permanently by October. Many of its 12 employees are being offered work at Gahan House Harbourfront, a similar business under the same ownership.
- Irving Oil is expanding its retail operations in the Halifax area. The construction of a gas bar, convenience store and attached Subway restaurant, near the Halifax airport, will be completed in the fall. Work has also begun on a new gas bar in Bedford.
- Lindsay Construction has been awarded the contract for construction management services on the new $20M Discovery Centre science museum to be built on the Halifax waterfront beginning in August
- Craft brewery Unfiltered Brewing has opened in north-end Halifax, and is the fifth such brewery to open in that area. There are now seven craft breweries in the city.
- The federal government will spend more than $20M on renovations at the Citadel and other historic sites in the Halifax area
- The federal government announced nearly $900,000 in funding to the Sobey's School Business Development Centre, to help new graduates find jobs and to provide business development counselling and consulting services for small and medium businesses
- Date Modified: