Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Outlook & Prospects for Chemists in Halifax Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Employment outlooks have been determined at the provincial level for Nova Scotia.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Sep 15 - Sep 19, 2014
- According to a BMO Economics report, employment in Halifax will rise by 6,000 jobs over the next two years, as the city and the province are expected to experience modest economic growth. The $25B Irving Shipbuilding contract, some offshore exploration, and stronger United States demand for exports, in addition to a weaker Canadian dollar, will contribute to the growth.
- Small clothing shops Hazelnut & Rose Nursing and Maternity, Brilliant Clothing Boutique, and Room 152 have recently opened within the Halifax and Dartmouth area. New York-based shoe store Nine West Shoe Studio has opened in the Mic Mac Mall in Dartmouth, while Beads R Us on Quinpool Road in Halifax will close by the end of October.
- The Robie St. Station Diner will open near the end of September in the space formerly occupied by Jane's on the Common in Halifax, which closed in 2013. The restaurant will employ 20 people. As well, Krave Burger has opened on Spring Garden Road in Halifax, while Eats! Urban Lunch Counter & Takeout has opened on Baker Drive in Dartmouth.
- Trucking company Armour Transportation Systems now employs 300 workers in the Halifax area, and has begun operating a 200,000-square-foot warehouse in the Atlantic Gateway-Halifax Logistics Park in Burnside
- Innovatia Inc. of Saint John, NB will receive a payroll rebate worth nearly $1M to create up to 100 jobs over five years at its Halifax site. The business provides technical support to a large equipment manufacturer in the telecommunications industry.
- Work continues on the modernization of the Irving Shipyard in Halifax, and the official signing of the $25B federal shipbuilding contract is expected within months. Irving indicates it plans to have infrastructure completed in time to begin cutting steel by late 2015. Employment at the yard is expected to rise from 700 current workers to 2,000 by the 2020s.
- A number of new retailers are coming to the Halifax region this fall; Sephora, Alia and TanJay, Gymboree and Nine West Shoe Studio will open at the Mic Mac Mall. Spencer's Gifts will open in the Halifax Shopping Centre this fall. Marshalls will open its second store in the Halifax region in August in the Bayers Lake Business Park.
- Scanway Catering Cake & Pastry Shop café has opened on Grafton Street and will offer a vibrant menu and rooftop patio
- The Battered Fish Fish & Chip Company opened its seventh location in Fall River in August. The company wants to continue to expand and is hoping to open franchised locations in Burnside Park and Toronto.
- Bubba Ray's Sports Bar has opened a second location in the old Red Fox Bar & Grill location off Bayer's Road. They have hired seven new staff members.
- Dollarama and Stitch it Clothing Alterations at the Halifax Shopping Centre will close by the end of August. Black's Photography, which has stores in the Halifax Shopping Centre and the Mic Mac Mall, will also close at the end of August.
- Date Modified: