Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Outlook & Prospects for Chemists in Halifax Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Employment outlooks have been determined at the provincial level for Nova Scotia.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Sep 08 - Sep 12, 2014
- Innovatia Inc. of Saint John, NB will receive a payroll rebate worth nearly $1M to create up to 100 jobs over five years at its Halifax site. The business provides technical support to a large equipment manufacturer in the telecommunications industry.
- Work continues on the modernization of the Irving Shipyard in Halifax, and the official signing of the $25B federal shipbuilding contract is expected within months. Irving indicates it plans to have infrastructure completed in time to begin cutting steel by late 2015. Employment at the yard is expected to rise from 700 current workers to 2,000 by the 2020s.
- A number of new retailers are coming to the Halifax region this fall; Sephora, Alia and TanJay, Gymboree and Nine West Shoe Studio will open at the Mic Mac Mall. Spencer's Gifts will open in the Halifax Shopping Centre this fall. Marshalls will open its second store in the Halifax region in August in the Bayers Lake Business Park.
- Scanway Catering Cake & Pastry Shop café has opened on Grafton Street and will offer a vibrant menu and rooftop patio
- The Battered Fish Fish & Chip Company opened its seventh location in Fall River in August. The company wants to continue to expand and is hoping to open franchised locations in Burnside Park and Toronto.
- Bubba Ray's Sports Bar has opened a second location in the old Red Fox Bar & Grill location off Bayer's Road. They have hired seven new staff members.
- Dollarama and Stitch it Clothing Alterations at the Halifax Shopping Centre will close by the end of August. Black's Photography, which has stores in the Halifax Shopping Centre and the Mic Mac Mall, will also close at the end of August.
- David¿s Bridal, a retailer of bridal fashions across North America, has opened a store in Dartmouth Crossing, and expects to hire 28 workers
- Black¿s Photography will close its last two stores in Nova Scotia, which are located in the Halifax Shopping Centre and in the Mic Mac Mall in Dartmouth. No timeline was given for the closures.
- Harbour Isle Halifax Inc. will add two 16-storey residential towers in 2015 to a recently completed 12-storey tower at its $250M construction project at Wright¿s Cove in Dartmouth. Also, a multimillion-dollar residential-commercial development will begin on the site of the former National Film Board building on Barrington Street in Halifax within a few weeks.
- Southwest Properties will begin construction on the $500M, 10-year Seton Ridge retail and residential project in Rockingham in 2015. Pete¿s Fine Foods will open its fourth Halifax area grocery store in early 2017 in the new development.
- Date Modified: