Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Outlook & Prospects for Administrative Officers in Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Alberta.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Alberta||(2 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
For the 2013-2015 projection period, employment opportunities will be fair for Administrative Officers (NOC 1221) in Alberta. Compared with all other occupations, more job openings are expected as a result of workers retiring. However, this will be offset by proportionately more unemployed workers with experience in this occupation who may compete for available jobs.
According to the 2011 National Household Survey, the average age for this occupation in Alberta was 44 years and 21% of workers were 55 years old and older. Also, according to the Labour Force Survey, approximately 34,500 people worked in this occupation in 2013.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Athabasca--Grande Prairie--Peace River Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Banff--Jasper--Rocky Mountain House Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Calgary Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Camrose--Drumheller Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Edmonton Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Red Deer Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Wood Buffalo--Cold Lake Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- September 2014 | (PDF, 650 KB)
- August 2014 | (PDF, 650 KB)
- July 2014 | (PDF, 765 KB)
- June 2014 | (PDF, 641 KB)
- May 2014 | (PDF, 602 KB)
- April 2014 | (PDF, 669 KB)
- March 2014 | (PDF, 600 KB)
- February 2014 | (PDF, 610 KB)
- January 2014 | (PDF, 662 KB)
- Annual Edition 2013 | (PDF, 226 KB) new
- December 2013 | (PDF, 536 KB)
- November 2013 | (PDF, 534 KB)
- October 2013 | (PDF, 657 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 235 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 438 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 487 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 445 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 240 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 294 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 437 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 241 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 435 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 227 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Oct 13 - Oct 17, 2014
- TransCanada Corporation is expecting to begin construction on the $3B Grand Rapids Pipeline Project between the Ft. McMurray area and the Edmonton Industrial Heartland terminals in the fall of 2014
- Golden Buffalo Development is planning to start construction in the spring of 2015 on a hotel and office complex in downtown Fort McMurray
- The City of Airdrie has rezoned a parcel of land that will allow the development of 120 single-family lots in the South Windsong neighbourhood
- Rocky View Schools is requesting $25M in capital from the Government of Alberta to increase classroom capacity throughout the district, in an effort to deal with overcrowding in schools
- Bow Valley High School and Rocky View Schools have partnered with Kingsmith Homes through the Building Futures program to offer students practical trades experience in home construction
- Total E&P Canada has filed an application with the Alberta Energy Regulator to expand the $11B Joslyn oil sands project near Fort MacKay by 60%. The project was previously put on hold in May 2014.
- The City of Grande Prairie has approved a commercial development called Trader Ridge, which includes proposals for a car dealership, grocery store and small shops
- SemCAMS has announced plans to build a sour gas compressor station on the Northwest Wapiti Pipeline, southwest of Grande Prairie
- Alberta Health Services is opening 464 continuing care spaces throughout the province to ease the pressure on hospital bed demand
- Edmonton Catholic Schools will be spending $3.6M to provide childcare at four Edmonton schools, starting in 2016
- The City of Calgary has started construction on the $191M Rocky Ridge Recreation Centre, with opening planned for 2017
- Strathcona County has started construction on the $29M Emerald Hills Aquatic Centre, with completion planned for the fall of 2016
- The Government of Alberta has awarded a $71M contract to Carmacks Enterprise to complete the twinning of Highway 63 by 2016
- The Government of Alberta is spending $5.5M to build a helipad on top of the main tower of the Northern Lights Regional Health Centre in Fort McMurray, with construction slated for 2015
- MacEwan University in Edmonton has announced that it will offer full-credit for college courses, easing the transition for students who want to transfer into a university degree program
- Cushman & Wakefield recently reported increased demand for leased industrial space in Calgary, with levels approaching the boom year of 2006
- Triple Five Group, owners of West Edmonton Mall, are planning a major expansion to the facility that will add new retail space and additional parking stalls and will connect to the proposed light rail transit line
- Chevron Canada has announced the sale of 30% of its interest in the Duvernay Shale formation, located northwest of Edmonton, to Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration for $1.5 billion US
- Quebecor has agreed to sell all of its 175 English-language newspapers, including the Edmonton Sun and the Calgary Sun, to Postmedia. The deal also includes the transfer of some real estate assets in Alberta.
- The Edmonton Arena District Joint Venture is building a new Delta hotel in the downtown core, with 362 rooms and 200 luxury condos; scheduled for completion by early 2018
- The Data Group is spending $3M in refurbishments and moving 200 employees to consolidate its three Calgary offices into one central location at Icon Business Park
- Alberta Health Services plans to close the Medicine Hat Diagnostic Laboratory in March 2017, with the transitioning of services to the Medicine Hat Regional Hospital in October 2016. The closure and move could affect up to 70 employees.
- Groupe Germain Hospitalité is building a $34M ALT Hotel in the East Village area of Calgary, with the opening planned for 2017
- Dow Canada has given $1.05M to the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in Edmonton to support campus expansion and the power engineering technology program
- Hillwood Investment Properties, a Dallas-based company, is partnering with Calgary-based Highfield Investment Group to build a distribution facility in the High Plains Industrial Park near Balzac
- Arcan Resources has started its winter drilling program, with plans to complete nine wells by spring break-up in 2015
- The Government of Alberta has announced $43.2M for 55 new schools and 22 school modernizations as the final phase of a 10-year education capital renewal plan
- The City of Edmonton has announced that the opening of the Metro LRT line will be delayed until at least February 2015, due to technical issues with signals. The line was originally scheduled for completion in the summer of 2014.
- The Town of Canmore is proposing a $40M high debris flood-retention structure for the Cougar Creek area following the destructive floods of 2013
- The Merit Medical Clinic and the Cold Lake Health Care Centre have recently hired a new physician, but the area still requires additional doctors
- The RCMP in Red Deer are actively recruiting for auxiliary constables to work with regular members and assist with community events
- The City of St. Albert is moving ahead with plans for a high technology neighbourhood that will incorporate cutting-edge data technology in a mix of residential, commercial and industrial buildings
- The Little Warriors Be Brave Ranch, a treatment centre for abused children and their families, has opened in Strathcona County
- Pembina Pipeline is spending $350M to build the first phase of the Canadian Diluent Hub, a condensate and diluent terminal near Fort Saskatchewan
- Statoil ASA, a Norwegian oil and gas company, has delayed the development of the Corner oil sands project near Fort McMurray for at least three years, resulting in the loss of up to 70 jobs
- ATCO Energy Solutions and Petrogas Energy are developing four salt caverns for hydrocarbon storage near Fort Saskatchewan. The existing Petrogas hydrocarbon truck and rail terminal is expanding to accommodate the new storage initiative.
- Canexus Corporation has started shipping crude oil after completing work on its expanded oil-by-rail terminal near Bruderheim, with plans to increase to 14-unit trains per week
- XS Cargo Company, a deep-discount retail chain, is closing all of its 50 stores in Canada and distribution centers in Edmonton and Mississauga. The company had 650 employees, including 195 full-time positions, at the end of July 2014.
- Spring Creek Developments is starting construction on Creekstone Mountain Lodge, a $39M condominium project in Canmore, with occupancy slated for the summer of 2016
- Construction is scheduled to begin in the spring of 2015 on 230-units in the old Charles Camsell Hospital building in Edmonton, following remediation work to remove asbestos from the structure
- The City of Medicine Hat has awarded a $3.7M contract to MJB Enterprises for the first phase of the Harlow area flood protection work
- Riverdale Resources has plans for a coal mine in the Crowsnest Pass area, with an estimated workforce of 1,000 employees during construction and 200 jobs during the mine lifespan of 28 years
- The Town of Banff has approved a new Town Hall emergency generator project and associated infrastructure improvements, with $778,000 in funding from the Government of Alberta
- Oil sands developments by numerous companies and related service industries are expected to drive employee and population growth in the Cold Lake and Bonnyville areas over the long-term
- Kids and Company, a child care centre, is scheduled to open in Cochrane on November 1, 2014
- Yellowhead County and Brazeau County have partnered to award a $575,000 contract to Advantage Tower for two towers that will provide broadband, mobility and public safety communications to rural areas
- EPCOR Water Services and Ostara Nutrient Recovery Technologies are partnering to build a facility to recover nutrients from wastewater and produce an eco-friendly slow release fertilizer
- The Lloydminster Catholic School Division has found an increasing demand for speech language pathologists since 2011
- The Municipal District of Pincher Creek has signed a contract with Tough Country Communications for $266,000 to construct four towers that will comprise a wireless broadband network
- The City of Red Deer has approved a residential development by Melcor for 896 dwelling units and a small commercial area
- Axia NetMedia Corporation is expecting to complete construction on a fibre optic internet network in Vulcan, available to both residential and business customers, by early 2015
- Up Energy Development Group, a Chinese coal producer, has signed a deal to purchase the assets and debt of Grande Cache Coal. The new owners do not expect any immediate impact on the 400 employees in Grande Cache, or the 20 employees at the Calgary head office.
- The Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation and NorQuest College have announced the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation Hospitality Institute, a hands-on training centre for the hospitality industry
- Edgar Development Corporation has broken ground on The Hendrix, a $68M townhouse and apartment complex in Edmonton
- Cenovus Energy has started production at a recently completed section of the Foster Creek oil sands site. The construction of two additional phases expected to increase production in 2015 and 2016.
- The Government of Alberta has reversed a previous decision to close Michener Centre, a care home for developmentally disabled individuals in Red Deer
- The City of Brooks has committed $18.5M to the renovation of the Lakeside Leisure Centre and demolition of the attached Centennial Arena, with the work expected to be completed by 2016
- RioCan Investment Trust and Embassy BOSA are building a $300M residential and commercial development in the East Village area of Calgary, with completion expected in 2018
- The Calgary Marriott Downtown Hotel will undergo renovations starting in October 2014 to all areas of the facility, adding an upscale lounge and creating more meeting space, with completion set for spring 2015
- The Government of Alberta and the Calgary Board of Education are partnering to build four new starter schools in Calgary
- The City of Edmonton has approved a proposed six-storey, mixed-use development for the Old Strathcona neighbourhood
- Quantumplace Developments is building Phase 3 of Ravenrock, a mixed recreational and residential development in Canmore, with occupancy expected by mid-2015
- Isabella Homes is building a 300-bed palliative care facility in Didsbury, bringing an estimated 300 jobs to the community
- The City of Fort Saskatchewan is contributing $1.16M towards the $3.5M park-and-ride transit hub at the Dow Centennial Centre. Construction is planned to begin in the spring and be completed by August 2015.
- Victory Church on the Rock has closed the Cradles to Crayons Daycare in Grande Prairie, affecting nine staff members who received notices on September 18, 2014
- Spencer Ogden, a global energy recruitment specialist, will be hiring 22 employees for its new Canadian headquarters in Calgary
- The City of Lacombe is seeking up to 12 paid on-call applicants for the volunteer Fire Department as part of a fall recruitment drive
- The Arres Group is starting construction on a 235-unit residential housing development in Bentley in October 2014
- Baker Hughes Canada has created 60 jobs with the opening of a facility in Lloydminster to house their upstream chemical business
- Blackgold Broadcasting will be hiring a full news staff, securing studio space and installing infrastructure to support an FM broadcast station in Stony Plain
- Date Modified: