Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Outlook & Prospects for Metallurgical and Materials Engineers in Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Alberta.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Alberta||(3 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
For the 2013-2015 projection period, employment opportunities will be good for Metallurgical and Materials Engineers (NOC 2142) in Alberta. Compared with all other occupations, there should be proportionately fewer unemployed workers with experience in this occupation to compete for available jobs.
According to the 2011 National Household Survey, the average age for this occupation in Alberta was 44 years and 19% of workers were 55 years old and older. Also, according to the Labour Force Survey, less than 1,500 people worked in this occupation in 2013.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Athabasca--Grande Prairie--Peace River Region||(Undetermined)||2014-05-22|
|Banff--Jasper--Rocky Mountain House Region||(Undetermined)||2014-05-22|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||(Undetermined)||2014-05-22|
|Red Deer Region||(Undetermined)||2014-05-22|
|Wood Buffalo--Cold Lake Region||(Undetermined)||2014-05-22|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- September 2014 | (PDF, 650 KB)
- August 2014 | (PDF, 650 KB)
- July 2014 | (PDF, 765 KB)
- June 2014 | (PDF, 641 KB)
- May 2014 | (PDF, 602 KB)
- April 2014 | (PDF, 669 KB)
- March 2014 | (PDF, 600 KB)
- February 2014 | (PDF, 610 KB)
- January 2014 | (PDF, 662 KB)
- Annual Edition 2013 | (PDF, 226 KB) new
- December 2013 | (PDF, 536 KB)
- November 2013 | (PDF, 534 KB)
- October 2013 | (PDF, 657 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 235 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 438 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 487 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 445 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 240 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 294 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 437 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 241 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 435 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 227 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Oct 06 - Oct 10, 2014
- The Government of Alberta has awarded a $71M contract to Carmacks Enterprise to complete the twinning of Highway 63 by 2016
- The Government of Alberta is spending $5.5M to build a helipad on top of the main tower of the Northern Lights Regional Health Centre in Fort McMurray, with construction slated for 2015
- MacEwan University in Edmonton has announced that it will offer full-credit for college courses, easing the transition for students who want to transfer into a university degree program
- Cushman & Wakefield recently reported increased demand for leased industrial space in Calgary, with levels approaching the boom year of 2006
- Triple Five Group, owners of West Edmonton Mall, are planning a major expansion to the facility that will add new retail space and additional parking stalls and will connect to the proposed light rail transit line
- The Government of Alberta has cancelled all commercial fishing activities in the province due to declining stocks and an increased demand on the resource from numerous sectors
- Chevron Canada has announced the sale of 30% of its interest in the Duvernay Shale formation, located northwest of Edmonton, to Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration for $1.5 billion US
- Quebecor has agreed to sell all of its 175 English-language newspapers, including the Edmonton Sun and the Calgary Sun, to Postmedia. The deal also includes the transfer of some real estate assets in Alberta.
- The Edmonton Arena District Joint Venture is building a new Delta hotel in the downtown core, with 362 rooms and 200 luxury condos; scheduled for completion by early 2018
- Burrow, an Edmonton-based coffee shop, has opened underground in the pedway at the Central Light Rail Transit Station. Unused commercial bays remain available throughout the transit system for similar future developments.
- The Data Group is spending $3M in refurbishments and moving 200 employees to consolidate its three Calgary offices into one central location at Icon Business Park
- Alberta Health Services plans to close the Medicine Hat Diagnostic Laboratory in March 2017, with the transitioning of services to the Medicine Hat Regional Hospital in October 2016. The closure and move could affect up to 70 employees.
- Groupe Germain Hospitalité is building a $34M ALT Hotel in the East Village area of Calgary, with the opening planned for 2017
- Dow Canada has given $1.05M to the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in Edmonton to support campus expansion and the power engineering technology program
- Hillwood Investment Properties, a Dallas-based company, is partnering with Calgary-based Highfield Investment Group to build a distribution facility in the High Plains Industrial Park near Balzac
- Arcan Resources has started its winter drilling program, with plans to complete nine wells by spring break-up in 2015
- The Government of Alberta has announced $43.2M for 55 new schools and 22 school modernizations as the final phase of a 10-year education capital renewal plan
- The City of Edmonton has announced that the opening of the Metro LRT line will be delayed until at least February 2015, due to technical issues with signals. The line was originally scheduled for completion in the summer of 2014.
- The Town of Canmore is proposing a $40M high debris flood-retention structure for the Cougar Creek area following the destructive floods of 2013
- The Merit Medical Clinic and the Cold Lake Health Care Centre have recently hired a new physician, but the area still requires additional doctors
- The Fort McMurray International Airport has opened its North Terminal to workforce charter flights and cargo traffic following renovations to the facility and the addition of streamlined security
- The RCMP in Red Deer are actively recruiting for auxiliary constables to work with regular members and assist with community events
- The City of St. Albert is moving ahead with plans for a high technology neighbourhood that will incorporate cutting-edge data technology in a mix of residential, commercial and industrial buildings
- The Little Warriors Be Brave Ranch, a treatment centre for abused children and their families, has opened in Strathcona County
- Pembina Pipeline is spending $350M to build the first phase of the Canadian Diluent Hub, a condensate and diluent terminal near Fort Saskatchewan
- Statoil ASA, a Norwegian oil and gas company, has delayed the development of the Corner oil sands project near Fort McMurray for at least three years, resulting in the loss of up to 70 jobs
- ATCO Energy Solutions and Petrogas Energy are developing four salt caverns for hydrocarbon storage near Fort Saskatchewan. The existing Petrogas hydrocarbon truck and rail terminal is expanding to accommodate the new storage initiative.
- Canexus Corporation has started shipping crude oil after completing work on its expanded oil-by-rail terminal near Bruderheim, with plans to increase to 14-unit trains per week
- XS Cargo Company, a deep-discount retail chain, is closing all of its 50 stores in Canada and distribution centers in Edmonton and Mississauga. The company had 650 employees, including 195 full-time positions, at the end of July 2014.
- Spring Creek Developments is starting construction on Creekstone Mountain Lodge, a $39M condominium project in Canmore, with occupancy slated for the summer of 2016
- Construction is scheduled to begin in the spring of 2015 on 230-units in the old Charles Camsell Hospital building in Edmonton, following remediation work to remove asbestos from the structure
- The City of Medicine Hat has awarded a $3.7M contract to MJB Enterprises for the first phase of the Harlow area flood protection work
- The Government of Alberta is proceeding with flood mitigation projects in Calgary and High River and hiring additional staff to deal with appeals to the Disaster Recovery Program
- Riverdale Resources has plans for a coal mine in the Crowsnest Pass area, with an estimated workforce of 1,000 employees during construction and 200 jobs during the mine lifespan of 28 years
- The Town of Banff has approved a new Town Hall emergency generator project and associated infrastructure improvements, with $778,000 in funding from the Government of Alberta
- Oil sands developments by numerous companies and related service industries are expected to drive employee and population growth in the Cold Lake and Bonnyville areas over the long-term
- The Newell Regional Economic Development Initiative is considering the development of a barrier free transportation corridor to facilitate the movement of restricted high and wide loads from local manufacturers
- Kids and Company, a child care centre, is scheduled to open in Cochrane on November 1, 2014
- The Town of Chestermere has voted to become a city effective January 1, 2015, which will enable the hiring of dedicated city staff and expansion of the local authority
- The Government of Alberta has established a wildfire base in Lodgepole to assist Drayton Valley and Brazeau County Fire Services. The facility will also function as a helicopter fuel depot in the off season.
- Yellowhead County and Brazeau County have partnered to award a $575,000 contract to Advantage Tower for two towers that will provide broadband, mobility and public safety communications to rural areas
- EPCOR Water Services and Ostara Nutrient Recovery Technologies are partnering to build a facility to recover nutrients from wastewater and produce an eco-friendly slow release fertilizer
- The Lloydminster Catholic School Division has found an increasing demand for speech language pathologists since 2011
- The Municipal District of Pincher Creek has signed a contract with Tough Country Communications for $266,000 to construct four towers that will comprise a wireless broadband network
- The City of Red Deer has approved a residential development by Melcor for 896 dwelling units and a small commercial area
- Strathcona County has approved rezoning of a parcel of land that will see an auto-body repair and paint shop under development by the Trans America Group
- The Hog's Head Brewing Company in St. Albert has added a restaurant, the Hog's Head Tap Room, to their headquarters operations
- Axia NetMedia Corporation is expecting to complete construction on a fibre optic internet network in Vulcan, available to both residential and business customers, by early 2015
- Up Energy Development Group, a Chinese coal producer, has signed a deal to purchase the assets and debt of Grande Cache Coal. The new owners do not expect any immediate impact on the 400 employees in Grande Cache, or the 20 employees at the Calgary head office.
- The Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation and NorQuest College have announced the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation Hospitality Institute, a hands-on training centre for the hospitality industry
- Edgar Development Corporation has broken ground on The Hendrix, a $68M townhouse and apartment complex in Edmonton
- Cenovus Energy has started production at a recently completed section of the Foster Creek oil sands site. The construction of two additional phases expected to increase production in 2015 and 2016.
- Nordstrom, a leading specialty fashion retailer, has opened its first international store with 531 new employees in the Chinook Centre in Calgary
- The Government of Alberta has reversed a previous decision to close Michener Centre, a care home for developmentally disabled individuals in Red Deer
- The City of Brooks has committed $18.5M to the renovation of the Lakeside Leisure Centre and demolition of the attached Centennial Arena, with the work expected to be completed by 2016
- RioCan Investment Trust and Embassy BOSA are building a $300M residential and commercial development in the East Village area of Calgary, with completion expected in 2018
- The Calgary Marriott Downtown Hotel will undergo renovations starting in October 2014 to all areas of the facility, adding an upscale lounge and creating more meeting space, with completion set for spring 2015
- The Government of Alberta and the Calgary Board of Education are partnering to build four new starter schools in Calgary
- The City of Calgary is issuing 383 new taxi plates, with 126 to be distributed by December 2014 and the remainder in 2015
- The City of Edmonton has approved a proposed six-storey, mixed-use development for the Old Strathcona neighbourhood
- Quantumplace Developments is building Phase 3 of Ravenrock, a mixed recreational and residential development in Canmore, with occupancy expected by mid-2015
- Isabella Homes is building a 300-bed palliative care facility in Didsbury, bringing an estimated 300 jobs to the community
- Edson Forest Products is seeking new tradespersons in the near future as they grapple with their aging workforce
- The City of Fort Saskatchewan is contributing $1.16M towards the $3.5M park-and-ride transit hub at the Dow Centennial Centre. Construction is planned to begin in the spring and be completed by August 2015.
- Victory Church on the Rock has closed the Cradles to Crayons Daycare in Grande Prairie, affecting nine staff members who received notices on September 18, 2014
- Spencer Ogden, a global energy recruitment specialist, will be hiring 22 employees for its new Canadian headquarters in Calgary
- The City of Lacombe is seeking up to 12 paid on-call applicants for the volunteer Fire Department as part of a fall recruitment drive
- The Arres Group is starting construction on a 235-unit residential housing development in Bentley in October 2014
- Baker Hughes Canada has created 60 jobs with the opening of a facility in Lloydminster to house their upstream chemical business
- Blackgold Broadcasting will be hiring a full news staff, securing studio space and installing infrastructure to support an FM broadcast station in Stony Plain
- The Town of Stettler is hosting the first Canadian Badlands Pheasant Festival from October 15 to 19, 2014. The Stettler Regional Board of Trade and Community Development expects the event to draw up to 800 visitors.
- Hotel construction in downtown Edmonton is ramping up with a Hyatt Place hotel scheduled for completion in September 2015, and another unnamed hotel planned by the Katz Group and WAM Developments adjacent to the Rogers Place arena
- The Regional Recreation Corporation held a ground-breaking ceremony to mark the start of construction on the Northside Recreation Centre in Fort McMurray
- The North West Redwater Partnership is providing a bus service to the construction site of the Sturgeon refinery, located northeast of Edmonton, for its 800 employees. The company expects an additional 5,000 workers during peak construction next year.
- Phil Mickelson Design has partnered with the Windmill Golf Group to design and build the Mickelson National Golf Club of Canada in the community of Harmony, on the outskirts of Calgary
- The Town of Banff has approved an application by Caribou Properties to build a 38-unit staff accommodation complex in apartment-style buildings
- Peters' Drive-In, an established Calgary fast food restaurant, will be hiring up to 70 employees for a second location in Red Deer, expected to open in the summer of 2015
- The Government of Alberta is selling its fleet of four aircrafts and turning to commercial airlines and charter services to fill the void. The government will be providing assistance to the 27 employees affected by the sale.
- Five organizations in the Cochrane area received over $200,000 for projects under the Community Initiatives Program and the Community Facility Enhancement Program, which invest provincial lottery revenues
- International House of Pancakes, the breakfast restaurant chain, is expanding with two more restaurants in Edmonton and two more in Calgary, while also adding locations in Red Deer and Medicine Hat
- The Alberta Energy Regulator has given approval to Canadian Natural Resources Limited to resume work at its Primrose East oil sands project northwest of Cold Lake
- McBride Career Group is hosting a job fair in High Level on September 25, 2014
- The Watermark at Bearspaw, a high-end property development just outside Calgary, is launching the third and fourth phases of its project in response to market demand
- Stretch Construction is building the Best Western Plus Lacombe Inn & Suites, an $8.5M hotel and banquet facility in Lacombe
- The City of Leduc has approved a $4.5M development of the North Telford Recreational Lands, with work scheduled to begin in late 2014
- The University of Lethbridge has announced that PCL Construction Management of Calgary will lead the construction of a new science and academic building on campus
- Nalco Champion, a chemical and service supplier to the oil and gas sector, has hired 35 employees for a new warehouse, storage and laboratory facility in Lloydminster
- Residents of Okotoks are organizing monthly Cash Mobs beginning September 18, 2014 to show support for local businesses
- The Rimoka Housing Foundation is building a $15.5M affordable seniors complex in Rimbey, with construction slated to begin in the spring of 2015
- Expedition Rentals, a commercial all-terrain vehicle rental business, has purchased its own property and expanded to a new site in Sherwood Park to meet the growing demand from oilfield companies
- Southland Transportation, a Calgary school bus provider, is seeking 35 to 50 more drivers
- Deep Well Oil and Gas has started production of heavy oil from the Sawn Lake project in the Peace River oil sands region
- 20 VIC Management is starting a $130M renovation of Londonderry Mall in Edmonton that will bring new retailers and dining options to the site. The project is expected to be complete in 2017.
- Approximately 80 nursing staff at the Bethany Care Society seniors home in Sylvan Lake have joined the Alberta Union of Provincial Employees following a vote on September 8, 2014
- The Town of Sylvan Lake has approved the development of a six-bay commercial strip mall by Polar Creek Industries
- Alberta Health Services has announced that a new helipad will be built at the Westlock Health Centre to accommodate the new helicopters in use by the Shock Trauma Air Rescue Society
- The Career and Education Expo 2014, aimed at both high school students and the general public, will showcase approximately 50 employers in Whitecourt on September 29, 2014
- Date Modified: