Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Outlook & Prospects for Farmers and Farm Managers in Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
For the 2013-2015 projection period, employment opportunities will be fair for Farmers and Farm Managers (NOC 8251) in the Lethbridge - Medicine Hat region. Compared with all other occupations, there should be proportionately fewer unemployed workers with experience in this occupation to compete for available jobs. However, this will be offset by weaker than average employment growth.
According to the 2011 National Household Survey, the average age for this occupation in the Lethbridge - Medicine Hat region was 52 years and 46% of workers were 55 years old and older.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 14 - Jul 18, 2014
- The Potato Growers of Alberta have partnered with three local potato processors, providing $1M over five years to fund research in potato science at the University of Lethbridge
- The Government of Alberta, through the Building Alberta Plan, is providing $21M for irrigation infrastructure projects as part of a cost-sharing program with 13 irrigation districts
- CHS, a U.S. based farmer-owned cooperative, has agreed to purchase Agrium assets in Medicine Hat, Vauxhall, and Bow Island, as part of a larger Canadian acquisition
- Exhibitors at the second annual Agricultural Job Fair in Lethbridge are having a difficult time finding and retaining production workers and skilled tradespersons. With spring approaching, there is a strong demand for workers from cattle operations, feedlots and dairy farms.
- The XL Foods plant in Brooks, which employs about 2,200 people, has been temporarily shut down due to potentially tainted meat
- Date Modified: