Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Underground mine service and support workers perform a range of duties related to the operation of orepasses, chutes and conveyor systems, the construction and support of underground structures, passages and roadways, and the supply of materials and supplies to support underground mining. They are employed by coal, metal and non-metallic mineral mines.
backfiller, blaster helper, cage tender, conveyor operator, crusher operator, driller helper – underground mining, haulageman/woman, lamp keeper, materialman/woman, mine construction worker, orepass tender, pipeworker – underground mining, raise miner helper, skip tender, timberman/woman, trainman/woman.
- Operate and maintain ore chutes or conveyor systems to control flow of ore or coal in underground mine
- Operate construction equipment such as bulldozer, grader or backhoe to build and maintain underground passages and haulageways
- Construct and repair wood or metal supports and structures such as bulkheads, platforms, drift doors and chutes using construction and mining tools
- Attach and extend ventilation and water pipes and related mine service
- Assist miners in setting up and operating various drills and other mining machinery
- Supply and maintain backfill distribution of sand, rock or other materials
- Operate diesel or electric track haulage equipment such as ore trains to distribute personnel and supplies and to convey ore from orepass to primary crusher or skip
- Maintain supply storage areas and maintain equipment and supplies such as explosives, drill bits, fire extinguishers, lamps and batteries
- Perform routine maintenance of machinery.
Outlook & Prospects for Underground Mine Service and Support Workers in Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 07 - Jul 11, 2014
- The Taber Juice and Dry Grocery Plant, located in Taber, is scheduled to close permanently on August 29, 2014, resulting in the loss of 38 full-time positions
- The Town of Coaldale is moving to switch police services from the Lethbridge Regional Police Service to a contract with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, following approval from the Government of Alberta
- Lethbridge City Council has approved $1.48M for the next phase of construction on the Lethbridge Regional Police Services Headquarters renovations
- A $6.8M contract to upgrade and widen 43rd Street North in Lethbridge was recently awarded to deGraaf Excavating
- The University of Lethbridge and Lethbridge College have jointly received a $5M private donation to establish the Cor Van Raay Southern Alberta Agribusiness Program
- The City of Lethbridge has awarded a $2.1M contract to McNally Construction to help develop the Lethbridge Transit Site
- Dawson Wallace Construction is set to begin the first phase of a $5.4M construction project on the Lethbridge Police Station
- Date Modified: