Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Workers in this unit group prepare meat and poultry for further processing, for packaging or for marketing. They are employed in meat and poultry slaughtering, processing and packing establishments.
beef boner, ham cutter, industrial butcher, industrial meat cutter, meat trimmer, poultry preparer, slaughterer.
- Industrial butchers slaughter livestock using stunning devices and knives; skin, clean and trim carcasses; remove viscera and other inedible parts from carcasses; split carcasses into smaller portions to facilitate handling; and may slaughter cattle, calves and sheep as prescribed by religious laws.
- Industrial meat cutters cut beef, lamb, pork or veal carcasses or sides or quarters of carcasses into primal cuts for further cutting, processing or packaging; remove bones from meat; and cut meat and poultry into specific cuts for institutional, commercial or other wholesale use.
- Poultry preparers slaughter poultry and remove inedible parts; remove feathers and singe and wash poultry to prepare for further processing or packaging.
- Trimmers remove skin, excess fat, bruises or other blemishes from carcasses or meat portions.
Outlook & Prospects for Industrial Butchers and Meat Cutters, Poultry Preparers and Related Workers in Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 14 - Jul 18, 2014
- The Potato Growers of Alberta have partnered with three local potato processors, providing $1M over five years to fund research in potato science at the University of Lethbridge
- Alberta Infrastructure is moving forward with an 18-bed Residential Detox Centre in Medicine Hat. The $7.1M facility is scheduled to open by the end of 2015.
- The Government of Alberta, through the Building Alberta Plan, is providing $21M for irrigation infrastructure projects as part of a cost-sharing program with 13 irrigation districts
- The Taber Juice and Dry Grocery Plant, located in Taber, is scheduled to close permanently on August 29, 2014, resulting in the loss of 38 full-time positions
- The Town of Coaldale is moving to switch police services from the Lethbridge Regional Police Service to a contract with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, following approval from the Government of Alberta
- Lethbridge City Council has approved $1.48M for the next phase of construction on the Lethbridge Regional Police Services Headquarters renovations
- A $6.8M contract to upgrade and widen 43rd Street North in Lethbridge was recently awarded to deGraaf Excavating
- The University of Lethbridge and Lethbridge College have jointly received a $5M private donation to establish the Cor Van Raay Southern Alberta Agribusiness Program
- The City of Lethbridge has awarded a $2.1M contract to McNally Construction to help develop the Lethbridge Transit Site
- Date Modified: