Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Forestry technologists and technicians may work independently or perform technical and supervisory functions in support of forestry research, forest management, forest harvesting, forest resource conservation and environmental protection. They are employed by the forest industry sector, provincial and federal governments, consulting firms, and other industries and institutions or they may be self-employed.
conservation technician – forestry, cruising technician – forestry, enforcement officer – forestry, extension ranger – forestry, fire suppression officer – forestry, forest fire technician, forest survey technician, forest technician, forestry technician, forestry technologist, resource officer, forest inventory, resource technician – forestry, scaler technician – logging, scaling co-ordinator – logging, silviculture technician.
- Conduct, supervise and participate in forest inventory cruises, surveys and field measurements following accepted scientific and operational procedures
- Assist and perform technical functions in the preparation of forest management and harvest plans using photogrammetric and mapping techniques and computerized information systems
- Assist in planning and supervise construction of access routes and forest roads
- Implement, supervise and perform technical functions in silvicultural operations involving site preparation, planting, and tending of tree crops
- Co-ordinate activities such as timber scaling, forest fire suppression, disease or insect control or pre-commercial thinning of forest stands
- Supervise and perform technical functions in forest harvesting operations
- Monitor activities of logging companies and contractors and enforce regulations such as those concerning environmental protection, resource utilization, fire safety and accident prevention
- Provide forestry education, advice and recommendations to woodlot owners, community organizations and the general public
- Develop and maintain computer databases
- Supervise forest tree nursery operations
- Provide technical support to forestry research programs in areas such as tree improvement, seed orchard operations, insect and disease surveys or experimental forestry and forest engineering research.
Outlook & Prospects for Forestry Technologists and Technicians in Red Deer Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Red Deer Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 07 - Jul 11, 2014
- The Bentley Hutterite Colony suffered a $5M loss after fire destroyed a large hog barn and killed an estimated 4,200 animals on July 7, 2014
- Date Modified: