Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Licensed practical nurses provide nursing care usually under the direction of medical practitioners, registered nurses or other health team members. They are employed in hospitals, nursing homes, extended care facilities, rehabilitation centres, doctors' offices, clinics, companies, private homes and community health centres. Operating room technicians are included in this unit group.
certified nursing assistant (CNA), licensed nursing assistant, licensed practical nurse (L.P.N.), operating room technician, registered nursing assistant (R.N.A.), registered practical nurse (R.P.N.).
- Provide nursing services, within defined scope of practice, to patients based on patient assessment and care planning procedures
- Perform nursing interventions such as taking vital signs, applying aseptic techniques including sterile dressing, ensuring infection control, monitoring nutritional intake and conducting specimen collection
- Administer medication and observe and document therapeutic effects
- Provide pre-operative and post-operative personal and comfort care
- Monitor established respiratory therapy and intravenous therapy
- Monitor patients' progress, evaluate effectiveness of nursing interventions and consult with appropriate members of healthcare team
- Provide safety and health education to individuals and their families.
- Prepare patients for surgery by washing, shaving and sterilizing the patients' operative areas
- Assist in surgery by laying out instruments, setting up equipment, assisting surgical teams with gowns and gloves and passing instruments to surgeons
- Clean and sterilize the operating room and instruments.
Outlook & Prospects for Licensed Practical Nurses in Red Deer Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Red Deer Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
For the 2013-2015 projection period, employment opportunities will be good for Licensed Practical Nurses (NOC 3233) in the Red Deer region. Compared with all other occupations, this occupation is expected to experience stronger employment growth. This growth, in addition to a larger proportion of workers retiring, is expected to result in new employment opportunities.
According to the 2011 National Household Survey, the average age for this occupation in the Red Deer region was 43 years and 21% of workers were 55 years old and older.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jun 16 - Jun 20, 2014
- The Government of Canada is providing over $2M to the City of Red Deer to implement the Housing First program, an initiative to help end homelessness
- The Government of Alberta has opened the new $42M Central Alberta Cancer Centre in Red Deer. The new facility, adjoined to the Red Deer Regional Hospital, offers increased clinical space, additional treatment rooms and outpatient counselling services.
- Nordstrom Dental is opening a new practice in Rimbey in early 2014. The clinic will have four full-time employees on opening, with the potential for an additional six employees.
- Bethany Care Centres cut 4 full-time staff in Red Deer and 2.5 in Sylvan Lake. The cuts will affect mainly health-care aides and licensed practical nurses.
- Date Modified: