Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes roofing, masonry, painting and other construction trade contractors, not elsewhere classified, who own and operate their own business. Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of various tradespersons, installers, repairers and servicers classified in the following minor groups: <i>Masonry and Plastering Trades</i> (728), <i>Other Construction Trades</i> (729) and <i>Other Installers, Repairers and Servicers</i> (744). They are employed by a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the unit group descriptions. This unit group also includes prefabricated product installation and service contractors and proprietors of some repair and service establishments.
bricklaying contractor, cement finishing contractor, foreman/woman, glaziers, foreman/woman, insulators, foreman/woman, plasterers, painting contractor, pest control supervisor, roofing contractor, supervisor, bicycle repair shop, supervisor, painters and decorators, supervisor, tilesetters.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of construction workers engaged in bricklaying, roofing, cement finishing, tilesetting, plastering, drywall installation, glazing, insulating and painting, and workers who install and service prefabricated products in residential and commercial properties, as well as workers who repair a wide variety of products, such as musical instruments, sports equipment, vending machines, bicycles and cameras
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other subcontractors
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity and product quality
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train workers in job duties, safety procedures and company policies
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare work progress reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Outlook & Prospects for Contractors and Supervisors, Other Construction Trades, Installers, Repairers and Servicers in Red Deer Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Alberta.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Athabasca--Grande Prairie--Peace River Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Banff--Jasper--Rocky Mountain House Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Calgary Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Camrose--Drumheller Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Edmonton Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Red Deer Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
|Wood Buffalo--Cold Lake Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- July 2014 | (PDF, 765 KB)
- June 2014 | (PDF, 641 KB)
- May 2014 | (PDF, 602 KB)
- April 2014 | (PDF, 669 KB)
- March 2014 | (PDF, 600 KB)
- February 2014 | (PDF, 610 KB)
- January 2014 | (PDF, 662 KB)
- Annual Edition 2013 | (PDF, 226 KB) new
- December 2013 | (PDF, 536 KB)
- November 2013 | (PDF, 534 KB)
- October 2013 | (PDF, 657 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 235 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 438 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 487 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 445 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 240 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 294 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 437 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 241 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 435 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 227 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 28 - Aug 01, 2014
- The Federal Government is providing funding of $241M for a new transit garage and a new fleet of natural gas buses in Calgary
- Delta Hotels and Resorts have announced a new 318-room hotel at the Calgary International Airport. The four-star hotel will include 17,000 sq.-ft. of meeting space and 6,000 sq.-ft. of ballroom space.
- Jasper House, a 36-storey condominium, will begin pre-sales this fall. Construction on the 240-unit luxury tower will start in late 2015.
- Sylvan Lake is launching a $40M residential development on its northeastern bank. The first phase includes 16 villa sites and nine estate homes.
- The Regional Recreation Corporation has received municipal approval for the Northside Recreation Centre at Abrams Land in Fort McMurray, with completion anticipated by the fall of 2018
- Hokanson Capital is spending $8M to renovate the former ATB Financial building in downtown Edmonton and re-branding the structure as 9Triple8 Jasper
- The Airdrie Koininia Christian School in Airdrie has recently secured the funding required to complete construction of the building, but a timeline for opening is not available
- The City of Edmonton has added $16M to the road construction budget for 2014, to be spent on 51 different projects
- Alberta Infrastructure is moving forward with an 18-bed Residential Detox Centre in Medicine Hat. The $7.1M facility is scheduled to open by the end of 2015.
- The City of Cold Lake has approved a $5.5M development planned for Kinosoo Beach, with the work anticipated to start in the fall of 2014
- PK Developments has received approval from the City of Fort Saskatchewan for construction of 240 apartments, spread across five separate buildings
- Shell Canada and the Town of Peace River are jointly funding infrastructure improvements at the Peace River Airport, including terminal and parking upgrades
- The City of Calgary is spending $17M to replace an existing storm-water trunk line in a new location, with a mandatory completion date in 2016
- The Calgary Board of Education will spend $16.5M to restore the Elbow Park School, which was damaged in the 2013 floods, reversing an earlier decision to demolish the school and build a replacement
- Brazeau County has awarded a $3M contract to BTO Contracting for road grading during 2014
- Lethbridge City Council has approved $1.48M for the next phase of construction on the Lethbridge Regional Police Services Headquarters renovations
- A $6.8M contract to upgrade and widen 43rd Street North in Lethbridge was recently awarded to deGraaf Excavating
- The City of Grande Prairie has approved a $9.5M renovation project to re-open the Leisure Centre
- Buffalo Trail Public Schools Regional Division No. 28 is expecting to start construction in the spring of 2015 on a $10.8M school in Paradise Valley
- Olds College and Shunda Construction held an official ground-breaking on July 3, 2014 for the $30M Centennial Village Student Residence, which is expected to open in September 2015
- The Town of Ponoka is experiencing an increase in both commercial and residential development permit applications, both in numbers and dollar value
- Living Waters Catholic Schools, the Town of Whitecourt, Woodlands County and NorQuest College are partnering to build and operate a community Learning Campus in Whitecourt. Construction is expected to begin in the fall of 2014.
- Date Modified: