Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes instructors who teach applied arts, academic, technical and vocational subjects to students at community colleges, CEGEPs, agricultural colleges, technical and vocational institutes, language schools and other college level schools. This unit group also includes trainers who are employed by private training establishments, companies, community agencies and governments to deliver internal training or development courses. College teachers who are heads of departments are included in this group.
CEGEP teacher, college teacher, commercial art instructor, community college teacher, company trainer, computer training instructor, department chairperson – college, department head – CEGEP, firefighting instructor, language school instructor, teacher – institute of technology, teacher, legal assistant program, training officer – company, vocational institute teacher.
- Teach students using a systematic plan of lectures, demonstrations, discussion groups, laboratory work, shop sessions, seminars, case studies, field assignments and independent or group projects
- Develop curriculum and prepare teaching materials and outlines for courses
- Prepare, administer and mark tests and papers to evaluate students' progress
- Advise students on program curricula and career decisions
- Provide individualized tutorial/remedial instructions
- Supervise independent or group projects, field placements, laboratory work or hands-on training
- Supervise teaching assistants
- May provide consultation services to government, business and other organizations
- May serve on committees concerned with matters such as budgets, curriculum revision, and course and diploma requirements.
These instructors specialize in particular fields or areas of study such as visual arts, dental hygiene, welding, engineering technology, policing, computer software, management and early childhood education.
Outlook & Prospects for College and Other Vocational Instructors in Edmonton Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Alberta.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Athabasca--Grande Prairie--Peace River Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2010-05-18|
|Banff--Jasper--Rocky Mountain House Region||N/A||N/A|
|Edmonton Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-06-07|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2009-05-28|
|Red Deer Region||N/A||N/A|
|Wood Buffalo--Cold Lake Region||N/A||N/A|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- March 2014 | (PDF, 600 KB)
- February 2014 | (PDF, 610 KB)
- January 2014 | (PDF, 662 KB)
- Annual Edition 2013 | (PDF, 226 KB) new
- December 2013 | (PDF, 536 KB)
- November 2013 | (PDF, 534 KB)
- October 2013 | (PDF, 657 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 235 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 438 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 487 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 445 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 240 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 294 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 437 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 241 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 435 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 227 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Apr 07 - Apr 11, 2014
- Imperial Oil's Leduc #1 has hired an educational coordinator to interact with visiting students, and supervise the laboratory experiments
- Funding from the Government of Alberta will create 184 new spaces at the University of Lethbridge over the next four years, including a new program in Aboriginal Health
- The City of St. Albert and Lakeland College, in Vermilion, are partnering to bring the 12-week long National Fire Protection Association 1001 Firefighter program to the city starting on June 16, 2014
- The Buffalo Trails Public School District is poised to make a decision on the fate of Clandonald School following financial difficulties and declines in enrolment over the last several years
- Portage College is partnering with industry and Campus Alberta to identify workforce training needs as it develops Canada's first pipeline training centre
- Bellerose Composite High School, in St. Albert, is running a Business Venture program that teaches students the basics of operating a restaurant and provides training for future employment and further education
- Mountain View County is providing $60,000 to the recently expanded and updated National Meat Training Centre at Olds College
- Date Modified: