Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Elementary school and kindergarten teachers teach basic subjects such as reading, writing and arithmetic or specialized subjects such as English or French as a second language at public and private elementary schools. Elementary school librarians are included in this unit group.
French immersion teacher – elementary school, elementary school teacher, elementary school teacher, English as a second language, elementary school teacher, French as a second language, kindergarten teacher, librarian, elementary school, primary school teacher, remedial teacher – elementary school, special education teacher – elementary school, supply teacher – elementary school.
- Prepare courses for presentation to students according to approved curriculum
- Teach students using a systematic plan of lessons, discussions, audio-visual presentations and field trips
- Lead students in activities to promote their physical, mental and social development and their school readiness
- Assign and correct homework
- Prepare, administer and correct tests
- Evaluate the progress of students and discuss results with students, parents and school officials
- Identify children's individual learning needs
- Prepare and implement remedial programs for students requiring extra help
- Participate in staff meetings, educational conferences and teacher training workshops
- May supervise teachers' aides and student teachers.
Elementary school and kindergarten teachers may specialize in such areas as special education or second language instruction.
Outlook & Prospects for Elementary School and Kindergarten Teachers in Edmonton Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Edmonton Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2014-05-22|
For the 2013-2015 projection period, employment opportunities will be fair for Elementary School and Kindergarten Teachers (NOC 4142) in the Edmonton region. Compared to all other occupations, there should be proportionately fewer unemployed workers with experience in this occupation to compete for available jobs. However, this will be partially offset by both average employment growth and number of retiring workers.
According to the 2011 National Household Survey, the average age for this occupation in the Edmonton region was 41 years and 17% of workers were 55 years old and older.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jun 09 - Jun 13, 2014
- Edmonton Public Schools is planning to add 339 full-time staff, including 119 teachers, in a tentative $1B budget for the 2014-2015 school year
- The Edmonton Catholic School Board has voted to close three schools due to the high cost of repairs to the buildings
- Prospective students for the Crane and Hoist Operator Apprenticeship Program at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in Edmonton are camping out in the hallways of the institution in an effort to capture one of the 180 coveted spots
- Canadian North is building a pilot training facility, equipped with a Boeing 737 flight simulator, at the Edmonton International Airport
- Date Modified: