Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Workers in this unit group operate single-function machines or machinery that is part of a larger production process to process mineral ore and metal products. They are employed in mineral ore and metal processing plants such as copper, lead and zinc refineries, uranium processing plants, steel mills, aluminum plants, precious metal refineries and cement processing plants.
aluminum classifier, asbestos dryer, billet heater, brick and tile crusher operator, cement miller, extrusion press operator, foil-winding machine operator, furnace charger, ladle pourer, lead refiner, lime kiln operator, mica sheet laminator, quenching car operator, scrap metal shredder, sintering machine operator, slurry equipment operator, steel roller, uranium classifier operator, zinc cell operator.
- Set up, prepare and adjust mineral ore, metal and cement processing machinery to carry out one step in the overall mineral ore or metal processing operation
- Operate single-function machinery to grind, separate, filter, mix, treat, cast, roll, refine or otherwise process mineral ores
- Observe gauges, meters, computer printouts, video monitors and products to ensure correct operation of machine and verify specified processing conditions
- Make adjustments to machinery as required
- Record production information and complete reports
- May assist with machinery maintenance or repair.
Outlook & Prospects for Machine Operators, Mineral and Metal Processing in Edmonton Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 14 - Jul 18, 2014
- Hokanson Capital is spending $8M to renovate the former ATB Financial building in downtown Edmonton and re-branding the structure as 9Triple8 Jasper
- The City of Edmonton has added $16M to the road construction budget for 2014, to be spent on 51 different projects
- Anytime Fitness, a 24-hour fitness franchise, is opening in Drayton Valley later in 2014
- Brazeau County is hiring nine full-time staff in planning and development, community services and corporate services, in order to meet the level of service required by residents and council
- The City of Fort Saskatchewan is planning to hire additional police officers, administrators, and a community peace officer in its Protective Service Department in order to keep up with population growth
- PK Developments has received approval from the City of Fort Saskatchewan for construction of 240 apartments, spread across five separate buildings
- The City of St. Albert has approved a request under the Municipal Policing Agreement for five additional officers for the local detachment
- Brazeau County has awarded a $3M contract to BTO Contracting for road grading during 2014
- Canada Post is planning to eliminate door-to-door mail delivery for more than 8,500 addresses in Strathcona County starting in 2015 as part of a national reduction in mail service
- Pembina Pipeline has opened their first fully owned and operated full-service station near Cynthia, which will also offer oil filtering services to other energy companies
- The City of Edmonton is moving forward with a plan to develop 1,115 housing units, a new shopping centre and $11.6M worth of road work near the Stadium LRT Station
- The City of Leduc, Leduc County and the Edmonton International Airport are joining forces to develop an aerotropolis that will feature hotels, restaurants, conference centres, and manufacturing and distribution firms
- The Government of Canada is providing $1.1M to the University of Alberta for a new microscope to be used in the production of semi-conductors for computers and industrial applications
- Strathcona County is planning to expand its services to seniors through the Older Adults Program
- Strathcona County has developed an online child care bank that will provide parents with information and a list of child care providers
- The Trans America Group is planning two mixed office and commercial buildings in Sherwood Park, with completion scheduled for 2016
- Parkland County is recruiting for the new fire station in Acheson. The county anticipates a transfer of up to 15 employees from the Parkland Village station to the new site in Acheson.
- The Edmonton Economic Development Authority has signed an agreement with Gascana AB Energy and Gascana-Sino Industrial Park Administrative Committee to develop a 405-hectare industrial park in Sturgeon County
- The Town of Morinville has approved the rezoning of land that will permit the construction of 92 housing units
- Date Modified: