Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Receptionists and switchboard operators greet people arriving at offices, hospitals and other establishments, direct visitors to appropriate person or service, answer and forward telephone calls, take messages, schedule appointments and perform other clerical duties. They are employed by hospitals, medical and dental offices and in other offices throughout the public and private sectors.
admitting clerk, answering service operator, business receptionist, dental receptionist, front desk clerk (except hotel), hospital admitting clerk, medical receptionist, reception clerk, receptionist, switchboard operator, telereceptionist.
- Receptionists greet people coming into offices and other establishments, direct them to the appropriate contacts or services, and provide information in person and by phone and may perform clerical duties and maintain front desk security and security access lists.
- Hospital admitting clerks interview patients to obtain and process information required to provide hospital and medical services.
- Medical and dental receptionists greet patients, schedule appointments, using manual or computerized systems, receive and record payment for services, and direct patients to appropriate areas.
- Switchboard operators operate a telephone system or switchboard to answer, screen and forward telephone calls, taking messages and providing information as required; and may perform clerical duties.
- Answering service operators answer telephones and record and relay messages.
- Front desk clerks in a variety of institutional and commercial settings direct customers to appropriate areas, record bookings, handle credit card checks, receive payment, issue receipts, arrange tour reservations and deal with emergency situations.
Abbotsford, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Richmond, Surrey, Vancouver, Chilliwack, Langley, New Westminster, North Vancouver, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, White Rock, Gibsons, Mission, Aldergrove, Brunswick Beach, Crescent, Crescent Beach, Cultus Lake, Elgin, Fort Langley, Grandview, Lions Bay, McMillan Island, Ocean Park, South Surrey, Sunnyside, Willoughby
Outlook & Prospects for Receptionists and Switchboard Operators in Lower Mainland - Southwest Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lower Mainland - Southwest Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Apr 07 - Apr 11, 2014
- Scrubbi, residential cleaning company, is expanding to the Semiahmoo Peninsula. The Surrey-based company started up eight months ago and is planning to be in 20 markets across Canada by the end of 2015.
- Vancouver's Ho Sun Hing Printers shut down on March 23, after more than 100 years in business. The company has occupied a large two-floor space on East Georgia Street since 1961.
- Industrial Light & Magic is hiring 70 new employees in their Vancouver office. The Gastown studio will be working on a significant portion of the new Star Wars movie, and as a result, will increase its current staff from 130 to 200.
- The Lillooet Friendship Centre has issued 17 layoff notices until further funding is approved. Friendship Centres across BC employ more than 1,000 workers with 25 agencies.
- PacificSport, and Abbotsford-based sports organization, has opened a second location in Langley. The company provides its service to 11 communities, and the additional location will ensure a better use of staff and resources.
- Following a façade failure in February, repairs on the Ladner Leisure Centre in Delta will take place throughout the summer. The facility is focussed on internal repairs in order to minimize the impact to users of the building.
- Date Modified: