Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Outlook & Prospects for Bakers in Vancouver Island and Coast Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Vancouver Island and Coast Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2016-04-15|
For the 2015-2017 period, the employment outlook is expected to be fair for Bakers (NOC 6252) in the Vancouver Island and Coast region.
This outlook is the result of an analysis of a number of factors that influence employment prospects in this occupation. Some of the key findings are that:
- Employment is expected to remain relatively stable.
- A small number of people are expected to retire.
- This occupation has recently experienced moderate levels of unemployment.
Here are some key facts about Bakers in the Vancouver Island and Coast region:
- Approximately 820 people work in this occupation.
- Bakers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Retail Trade (NAICS 44-45): 45%
- Accommodation and food services (NAICS 72): 28%
- Food, beverage and tobacco product manufacturing (NAICS 311, 312): 23%
- They fall into the following age groups:
- 15 to 24: 27% compared to 13% for all occupations
- 25 to 54: 60% compared to 64% for all occupations
- 55 years and over: 13% compared to 24% for all occupations
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 04 - Jul 08, 2016
- Multiple hotel renovation projects in Victoria this year made as many as 500 rooms unavailable for use. The shortages resulted in average occupancy levels rising from 67% in the first four months to 80% in April.
- Rathskeller, a German restaurant in Victoria, was put up for sale. It's owner expect the restaurant will close its doors after the location is sold.
- Canadian Tire is opening a new location at Victoria's Hillside Centre this fall
- Texada Island Inn was heavily damaged by a recent fire. The Inn is a major employer in the small community of Van Anda, creating approximately 20% of employment.
- Date Modified: