Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Included Cities in Region | Service Canada Offices
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Vancouver Island and Coast Region||(Undetermined)||2016-04-15|
No employment outlook has been assigned to Labourers in Fish Processing (NOC 9618) in the Vancouver Island and Coast region due to low levels of employment.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Oct 10 - Oct 14, 2016
- Victoria's Tally-Ho Hotel recently closed its doors. The hotel employed 10 to 14 people during the low season, and up to 20 in the high season. However, the Tally-Ho Sports Bar & Grill and Hideaway Café will remain open.
- University of Victoria received $8.7M in funding from the provincial government for six new research projects, including a new research facility at Vancouver-based TRIUMF
- According to Victoria Foundation's 2016 Vital Signs report, the city does not have sufficient low and moderate income housing options. The average sale price for a single-family home in Victoria rose from $557,250 in 2015 to $665,000 in 2016.
- Jacob Bros. Construction will complete the first phase of the new Admirals-McKenzie interchange project of the Trans-Canada Highway near Saanich. The next major construction tender for the $85M project will be released in 2017.
- Island SodaWorks opened a bistro in Qualicum Beach on September 13
- The Government of BC is investing $6.5M to convert Vancouver's Victoria Super 8 hotel into a 51-unit social housing property. PHS Community Services Society will operate the property, with residents expected to move in by mid-November 2016.
- Colwood's Royal Roads University is planning to expand its operations. The expansion will include an update to the Mews property as well as a new 52,000 sq.-ft. science facility, expected to be completed in 2018.
- The City of Langford is launching the Langtoria Greenline, a bus service from various points in Langford to downtown Victoria. The new service will begin on October 17 with one bus.
- The Department of National Defence is planning to replace two jetties at its Esquimalt base. Construction of the $72M project is expected to take 18 to 24 months and will create about 1,400 jobs over the life of the project.
- Realstar Group plans to convert View Royal's James Bay hotel into rental apartments. The development will replace the existing 161-unit hotel with 520 rental apartment units in four to nine storey buildings.
- McCall Funeral and Cremation Service opened a new 15,000sq.-ft. location in Saanich
- Canadian Tire is opening a new location in Victoria's Hillside Centre in November, which will employ about 130 staff. When the new 140,000sq.-ft. location opens, the company will be closing two other stores in the city.
- Save-On-Foods is planning on opening its seventh location in Greater Victoria's Gateway Station Shopping Centre in the spring of 2018
- Construction recently began on a new $24M super-yacht marina in Victoria Harbour. The 28-slip marina is expected to be complete in late spring 2017.
- Omicron plans to begin construction on its $35M Sidney Gateway shopping centre in early 2017. The shopping centre, located on Victoria Airport land, will take approximately two years to complete.
- The Capital Regional District approved a plan to build a $765M regional tertiary sewage treatment plant at McLoughlin Point in Esquimalt. If the plant receives regulatory approval, it could be built by 2020.
- Construction of Bear Mountain Resort Community's Elevate project in Victoria, a 200-unit condominium development, is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2017
- Children of the Island Childcare Centre, a new bilingual daycare, recently opened in Colwood. The daycare is currently licensed for 72 children and hopes to expand to 100, increasing its staffing levels to 12-14 by the end of this year.
- Date modified: