Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Dietitians and nutritionists plan, implement and oversee nutrition and food service programs. They are employed in a variety of settings including hospitals, extended care facilities, public health centres, the food and beverage industry, the pharmaceutical industry, educational institutions, sports organizations and government, or may work as private consultants.
administrative dietitian, clinical dietitian, community nutritionist, consultant dietitian, dietitian, nutrition and dietetics researcher, nutritionist, public health dietitian, registered dietitian (RD), registered nutritionist.
- Develop, administer and supervise nutrition and food preparation and service programs in hospitals, nursing homes, schools, company cafeterias or similar settings
- Evaluate nutritional status of individuals and provide nutrition counselling and consulting to health professionals, dietetic interns, community groups, government, media and individuals
- Aid in the prevention and/or treatment of inadequate nutrition
- Plan, evaluate and conduct nutrition education programs and develop educational materials for various audiences
- Practice on an individual basis or as a member of an interdisciplinary team to determine nutritional needs of patients and to plan normal and therapeutic menus
- Study and analyze current scientific nutritional studies and conduct research to improve the nutritional value, taste, appearance and preparation of food.
- Work within industry in the development, testing and evaluation, and marketing of food and nutrition products or as a company representative supplying product related information to health professionals
- Confer with other health professionals, community groups, government and the media to provide consultation and advice in areas of nutrition interpretation, intervention and policy
- Supervise training of dietetic interns.
Dietitians and nutritionists may specialize in such areas as administrative dietetics, clinical dietetics, community dietetics, public health dietetics or research dietetics.
Outlook & Prospects for Dietitians and Nutritionists in Saint John--St. Stephen Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Saint John--St. Stephen Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 07 - Jul 11, 2014
- Famous Barbershop opened in Saint John at the beginning of the week. The business currently employs one barber but is looking to hire another.
- Sitel is hiring 215 employees at their Saint John call centre in response to new and expanding contracts with large companies. The new positions are in the areas of technical support and customer care.
- Seventeen local companies and organizations, all of whom are hiring, attended a job fair in St. Stephen this week for former Sobeys employees and others in the community looking for work. The closing of the Sobeys store put 90 people out of work.
- Babcock & Wilcox Canada Ltd. has been awarded a contract to design and build a discharge tank as part of the $450M modernization of the Irving pulp mill in Saint John. The project, to take place over the next few months, will generate about 35 jobs.
- A third Thai Pho restaurant, which offers Thai and Vietnamese cuisine, has opened in the Saint John area
- E.S. Fox has been awarded a $2M contract for work continuing until December 2014 as part of the modernization project at the Saint John pulp mill. The company will add 25 additional trades persons, such as ironworkers and pipefitters, to its staff of seven.
- Plans for the final piece of the Fundy Trail Parkway have been announced, and it is expected to be completed by May 2018. The construction site currently employs 200 people and is expected to create 700 direct and indirect jobs, including 35 operational positions on the site.
- The Potash Corporation will be temporarily extending operations at the Penobquis mining facility near Sussex, and has rescinded layoff notices for 50 employees. The company also will begin producing ore in the fall of 2014 at the nearby Picadilly plant.
- Date Modified: