Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Government managers in this unit group plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate economic policy, research and programs in areas of government activity such as taxation, international trade, labour markets, transportation or agriculture. They also plan and direct policies and programs to promote industrial and commercial business development in urban and rural areas. They are employed in government departments and agencies.
chief, economic analysis, chief, forest resource analysis, customs manager, director, business development, director, economic development, director, economic policy analysis, director, energy market analysis, director, excise tax programs, director, farm products marketing, international trade policy manager, manager, grain market analysis, manager, revenue programs, manager, tax policy research, taxation manager, tourism development director, trade development director.
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the development of economic policy research projects and economic programs
- Participate in the development of departmental policies by providing advice to senior government managers
- Organize departmental unit and establish procedures to meet departmental objectives set by senior management
- Direct and advise economists and other professional staff who conduct economic research, prepare reports or administer programs in areas of government activity such as taxation, international trade, labour, transportation or agriculture
- Direct and advise economic development officers or other staff administering programs to promote industrial and commercial business investment in urban or rural areas
- Plan, administer and control research and administration budgets for projects, support services, equipment or supplies
- Organize and direct committees evaluating departmental or agency projects or programs
- Interview, hire and oversee training and professional development.
Outlook & Prospects for Government Managers – Economic Analysis, Policy Development and Program Administration in North Shore Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|North Shore Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2011-06-07|
Currently the chances of Government Managers in Economic Analysis, Policy Development and Program Administration finding employment are limited because only a small number of people in this occupation are employed in the local area with few potential businesses noted as employing this occupational group. Occupations involved in research and policy development in the areas of taxation, international trade, labour markets, transportation or agriculture are usually located in Halifax, on the provincial level.
Although employment opportunities locally are limited, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Government Managers in Economic Analysis, Policy Development and Program Administration in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Government Managers in Economic Analysis, Policy Development and Program Administration (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Mar 24 - Mar 28, 2014
- The Body Shop, featuring skincare, makeup, and related products, will open in the spring in the Truro Mall
- Manitoba Hydro has been awarded a civil contact for construction of Keeyash Project for construction of the proposed 695-megawatt hydro power station. Construction is set to begin this summer, subject to regulatory and environmental approval.
- A new drug store, Pharmacy First, has opened in Stellarton
- LED Roadway Lighting Ltd. expects to re-hire most of the 45 workers it temporarily laid off before Christmas at its plant in Amherst. The company, which manufactures street lights, has recently obtained some new contracts.
- The Tatamagouche Brewing Company will open in Tatamagouche in May or June. The business will start as a small, family-run maker of local beer, run by the former owners of nearby Jost Vineyard.
- Aecon Atlantic Industrial has landed a $776,000 contract to refit the Englishtown ferry at the Pictou facility. Work should begin within a month, and take about eight weeks.
- DSME Trenton has recalled many employees and hired some new ones as it prepares for the construction of 34 towers for the South Canoe Wind Project.The workforce is currently at 95, and the company hopes to have 200 employed when the project is at full production in mid-May.
- Ottawa-based Vida Cannabis Corp. hopes to convert the old Clairtone building in Stellarton into a facility to produce medical marijuana. The company needs to renovate the facility and apply for a license from Health Canada, but hopes to begin production in the fall of 2014 with 20 to 30 workers. Eventually the plan is to employ 200 to 300 people.
- Michelin will cut 500 jobs, about half the workforce, from its tire plant in Granton due to changes in market demand. About 200 workers will be laid off in June 2014, with the remainder leaving by June 2015. Employees will be offered severance packages or relocation assistance to move to other Michelin plants in Nova Scotia, at Waterville and Bridgewater.
- Walmart stores in New Glasgow and Truro are converting to supercenters, featuring groceries and meats. Renovations on both stores should be complete by the fall.
- Walmart in Amherst will convert to a supercenter sometimes in 2014. A full-size supermarket including meats, baked goods, and other groceries will be added.
- Leslie¿s Finery, featuring women¿s clothing and accessories, will close its Truro location. The New Glasgow location will remain open.
- Date Modified: