Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Sheet metal workers fabricate, assemble, install and repair sheet metal products. They are employed by sheet metal fabrication shops, sheet metal products manufacturing companies, sheet metal work contractors and various industrial sectors.
apprentice sheet metal worker, sheet metal fabricator, sheet metal mechanic, sheet metal worker, tinsmith.
- Read engineering and architectural drawings, sketches and work specifications to be performed, and lay out, measure and mark sheet metal according to drawings or templates
- Develop patterns for sheet metal using computer-assisted design and drafting (CAD) software package
- Operate light metalworking machines such as shears, brakes, punches, and drill presses, including computer numerical control (CNC) equipment to cut, bend, punch, drill, shape or straighten sheet metal
- Operate computerized laser or plasma cutting equipment to cut sheet metal
- Install and use rigging and hoisting equipment
- Fit and join sheet metal parts using riveting, welding, soldering and similar equipment to fabricate products such as ventilation shafts, exhaust hoods, eavestroughs, partition frames, air and heat ducts, material handling systems, roof decking and sheet metal buildings
- Install sheet metal products according to specifications and building codes
- Grind and buff seams, joints and rough surfaces
- Inspect product quality and installation to ensure conformance to specifications.
Sheet metal workers may specialize in on-site installation or shop manufacture of sheet metal products, or servicing and maintenance of installed equipment and systems.
Outlook & Prospects for Sheet Metal Workers in North Shore Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Nova Scotia.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Annapolis Valley Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-06-21|
|Cape Breton Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-05-16|
|Halifax Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2011-08-03|
|North Shore Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-06-16|
|Southern Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2011-09-12|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- March 2014 | (PDF, 595 KB)
- February 2014 | (PDF, 595 KB)
- January 2014 | (PDF, 605 KB)
- December 2013 | (PDF, 539 KB)
- November 2013 | (PDF, 540 KB)
- October 2013 | (PDF, 547 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 240 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 447 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 515 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 436 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 446 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 317 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 234 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 436 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 294 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 414 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Apr 07 - Apr 11, 2014
- The Canadian military will construct a new armory in Bedford and new living quarters at CFB Halifax. The multi-million-dollar project will create 380 jobs, and contracts have been awarded to PCL Constructors Canada, and Aecon and SLI in Halifax.
- The Nova Scotia government plans to invest about $50M to upgrade heating systems in low-income homes over the next 10 years
- Polycorp Group is preparing to construct a 380-unit, four-building condominium complex as part of the Long Lake Village development in the Cowie Hill and Northwest Arm Drive area of Halifax
- About $4M will be spent on repairs and upgrades to social housing units in Nova Scotia through investments from the Canada-Nova Scotia Social Housing Agreement. Work is expected to get underway soon.
- Construction could begin in April on a new $2.7M Digby area health clinic. A tender has been awarded to Garland Construction of Tusket, and work should take about 10 months.
- Date Modified: