Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Cashiers operate cash registers, optical price scanners, computers or other equipment to record and accept payment for the purchase of goods, services and admissions. They are employed in stores, restaurants, theatres, recreational and sports establishments, currency exchange booths, government offices, business offices and other service, retail and wholesale establishments.
box office cashier, cafeteria cashier, grocery store cashier, office cashier, racetrack cashier, self-serve gas bar cashier, theatre cashier.
- Greet customers
- Establish or identify price of goods, services or admission and tabulate total payment required using electronic or other cash register, optical price scanner or other equipment
- Weigh produce and bulk foods
- Receive and process payments by cash, cheque, credit card or automatic debit
- Wrap or place merchandise in bags
- Provide information to customers
- Assist sports spectators and theatre patrons with seat selection
- Calculate foreign currency exchange
- Calculate total payments received at end of work shift and reconcile with total sales
- May accept reservations and take-out orders
- May also stock shelves and clean check-out counter area.
Outlook & Prospects for Cashiers in Windsor-Sarnia Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Windsor-Sarnia Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2014-04-10|
For the 2013-2015 period, employment opportunities for cashiers are expected to be good in the Windsor-Sarnia economic region. This is one of the largest occupations in the region with a labour force over 6,500 at the time of the 2011 National Househol
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 14 - Jul 18, 2014
- Sarnia-Lambton will host the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge this November. The 24-game tournament will be held at RBC Centre, the Shores Recreation Centre and the Sarnia Arena.
- Giant Tiger Stores Limited will open a new location in Blenheim in October 2014, creating up to 15 jobs
- Cosmetics retailer Sephora will open a location inside the Devonshire Mall in Windsor this fall
- Food Basics on Dougall Avenue and Sobeys grocery store at Tecumseh Mall in Windsor will close on July 31 and September 6, affecting about 55 and 95 workers respectively
- Date Modified: