Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Cooks prepare and cook a wide variety of foods. They are employed in restaurants, hotels, hospitals and other health care institutions, central food commissaries, educational institutions and other establishments. Cooks are also employed aboard ships and at construction and logging campsites. Apprentice cooks are included in this unit group.
apprentice cook, cook, dietary cook, first cook, grill cook, hospital cook, institutional cook, journeyman/woman cook, licensed cook, line cook, second cook, short order cook.
- Prepare and cook complete meals or individual dishes and foods
- Prepare and cook special meals for patients as instructed by dietitian or chef
- Schedule and supervise kitchen helpers
- Oversee kitchen operations
- Maintain inventory and records of food, supplies and equipment
- May set up and oversee buffets
- May clean kitchen and work area
- May plan menus, determine size of food portions, estimate food requirements and costs, and monitor and order supplies.
- May hire and train kitchen staff
Cooks may specialize in preparing and cooking ethnic cuisine or special dishes.
Outlook & Prospects for Cooks in Edmundston--Woodstock Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Employment outlooks have been determined at the provincial level for New Brunswick.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 14 - Jul 18, 2014
- The Grey Rock Entertainment Centre will open in December in Edmundston. It will have two bingo halls, a restaurant and a café and will create 200 jobs when completed.
- The new family restaurant Station 127 will open in mid-October in the former La Praga restaurant building in downtown Edmundston. The restaurant is expected to employ 20 people.
- A Burger King restaurant will open in the spring of 2014 at the Grey Rock Power Centre next to the Trans Canada highway near Edmundston. The Grey Rock Power Centre is currently in development. A gaming centre is under construction and a service station and restaurant are already in operation at the commercial centre.
- After having acquired the former Le Bel-Air restaurant, Edmundston entrepreneurs Normand Levesque and Keta Ringuette have now acquired the former La Praga Hotel and Restaurant. The couple plans to open by the end of the year a restaurant and bar at the Le Bel-Air building and a hotel at the La Praga location.
- Date Modified: