Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Outlook & Prospects for Cooks in Edmundston--Woodstock Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Edmundston--Woodstock Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2016-04-15|
For the 2015-2017 period, the employment outlook is expected to be limited for Cooks (NOC 6242) in the Edmundston - Woodstock region.
This outlook is the result of an analysis of a number of factors that influence employment prospects in this occupation. Some of the key findings are that:
- Employment is expected to remain relatively stable.
- A moderate number of people are expected to retire.
- This occupation has recently experienced high levels of unemployment.
- Employee turnover in this occupation is high, which could generate additional employment opportunities.
In addition, due to the seasonal nature of this occupation, employment opportunities will vary depending on the time of the year. Employment opportunities tend to be more favourable during the summer months.
Here are some key facts about Cooks in the Edmundston - Woodstock region:
- Approximately 1,790 people work in this occupation.
- Cooks mainly work in the following sectors:
- Food services and drinking places (NAICS 722): 50%
- Nursing and residential care facilities (NAICS 623): 20%
- Retail Trade (NAICS 44-45): 8%
- Accommodation services (NAICS 721): 7%
- They fall into the following age groups:
- 15 to 24: 20% compared to 12% for all occupations
- 25 to 54: 58% compared to 67% for all occupations
- 55 years and over: 22% compared to 21% for all occupations
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 03 - Nov 07, 2014
- More than seven full-time positions, many of them for orderlies, will be eliminated at the Edmundston Regional Hospital. The cuts are part of a three-year reorganization which will eventually see the creation of some other health care positions.
- The Grey Rock Entertainment Centre will open in December in Edmundston. It will have two bingo halls, a restaurant and a café and will create 200 jobs when completed.
- The new family restaurant Station 127 will open in mid-October in the former La Praga restaurant building in downtown Edmundston. The restaurant is expected to employ 20 people.
- A Burger King restaurant will open in the spring of 2014 at the Grey Rock Power Centre next to the Trans Canada highway near Edmundston. The Grey Rock Power Centre is currently in development. A gaming centre is under construction and a service station and restaurant are already in operation at the commercial centre.
- Date Modified: