Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes workers, not elsewhere classified, who perform various technical therapy and assessment functions. Some may assist professionals such as audiologists, speech-language pathologists, ophthalmologists and physiotherapists. They are employed in hospitals, clinics, extended care facilities, rehabilitation centres, educational institutions and in the private practices of the professionals they assist. Massage therapists may also be self-employed.
audio prosthetist, audiology technician, audiometric assistant, audiometric technician, hearing aid consultant, massage therapist (MT), ophthalmic assistant, ophthalmic technician, ophthalmic technologist, physical rehabilitation technician, physiotherapy technician, speech technician, speech therapist aide, speech therapy aide.
- Audio prosthetists examine clients to determine appropriate type of hearing aid; may test patient's hearing; take ear impressions for use in the manufacture of the devices; fit and adjust hearing aids; and perform follow-up examinations and readjustments.
- Audiometric assistants administer, under the supervision of audiologists, tests such as speech reception and speech discrimination to determine the hearing thresholds of patients; and record these test results.
- Communication assistants carry out remedial programs, under the supervision of speech-language pathologists, to rehabilitate patients with communicative disorders.
- Massage therapists assess clients by conducting range of motion and muscle testing and propose treatment plans; treat soft tissues and joints of the body through soft tissue manipulation, hydrotherapy, remedial exercise programs and client self-help programs; provide courses of treatment for medical conditions and injuries or wellness maintenance; maintain records of treatments given; and may work with other health care professionals when appropriate.
- Ophthalmic medical assistants operate ophthalmic testing and measuring instruments to aid ophthalmologists to assess patients' vision; record test results; assist ophthalmologists in office surgery; and administer eye drops, ointments and medications as directed by ophthalmologists.
- Physical rehabilitation technicians carry out, under physiotherapists' direction, treatment programs such as massage, thermotherapy, traction and hydrotherapy to rehabilitate injured or disabled individuals.
Outlook & Prospects for Other Technical Occupations in Therapy and Assessment in Fredericton--Oromocto
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Employment outlooks have been determined at the provincial level for New Brunswick.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Aug 04 - Aug 08, 2014
- Cedar Tree Café, a Mediterranean-style restaurant in downtown Fredericton, has closed
- Whimsy, a specialty boutique that sells a variety of items made by almost 70 local artisans, has opened on Main Street in Fredericton
- Construction has begun on the $9.12M, 30-bed addition to the Carleton Manor nursing home in Woodstock
- Kings Landing Historical Settlement has received $300,000 in provincial funding to develop new programming and to maintain current staff levels. The outdoor living museum in Prince William currently employs 150 people.
- Several new businesses have opened in downtown Fredericton in the past few months. New restaurants on Queen Street include Vault 29, a Prohibition-themed pub, as well as 540 Kitchen & Bar, a gastropub, and Chess Piece Patisserie & Café. Second Spin Records, a store selling used and new vinyl records, is expected to open in August on York Street.
- The Blue Door restaurant and bar will reopen in Fredericton under new ownership this month, with a staff of 16 people
- The Oromocto Health Clinic will open in November, employing a physician, two nurse practitioners, several nurses, a dietitian, a social worker and administrative staff
- Date Modified: