Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Heavy equipment operators operate heavy equipment used in the construction and maintenance of roads, bridges, airports, gas and oil pipelines, tunnels, buildings and other structures; in surface mining and quarrying activities; and in material handling work. They are employed by construction companies, heavy equipment contractors, public works departments and pipeline, logging, cargo-handling and other companies.
backhoe operator, bulldozer operator, excavator operator, gradall operator, grader operator, heavy equipment operator, heavy equipment operator apprentice, loader operator – construction, side boom tractor operator, surface mining equipment operator.
- Operate heavy equipment such as backhoes, bulldozers, loaders and graders to excavate, move, load and grade earth, rock, gravel or other materials during construction and related activities
- Operate bulldozers or other heavy equipment to clear brush and stumps prior to logging activities and to build roads at logging and surface mining sites
- Operate heavy equipment with pile driver head to drive piling into earth to provide support for buildings, bridges or other structures
- Operate heavy dredging equipment to deepen waterways or reclaim earth fill
- Operate heavy paving and surfacing equipment to lay, spread or compact concrete, asphalt and other surface materials during highway and road construction
- Operate power shovels to excavate rock, ore or other materials from open-pit mines, strip mines, quarries or construction pits
- Operate heavy equipment to move, load and unload cargo
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment and clean, lubricate and refill equipment.
Outlook & Prospects for Heavy Equipment Operators (Except Crane) in Fredericton--Oromocto
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Employment outlooks have been determined at the provincial level for New Brunswick.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jun 30 - Jul 04, 2014
- Construction of a $2.1M health centre in Stanley will begin this summer and be completed by January 2015. The contractor is Simpson Building Contractors Ltd. of Fredericton.
- Jamac Painting and Sandblasting Ltd. has been awarded the tender for a project which will include over-coating the exterior and recoating the interior of the Marysville reservoir
- Contracts for water and sewage upgrades in Fredericton have been awarded to Monteith Underground Services Ltd. and Charmac Construction Co. Ltd.
- Work on the first phase of the $39M Kingswood Resort Village in Fredericton will begin shortly. The project will include a hotel, indoor water park, residential buildings, and a meeting and banquet facility. It is expected to create 100 jobs when completed.
- City council in Fredericton has approved five contracts worth about $2.5M to upgrade streets, trails, and water and sewer systems. Philson Ltd., Monteith Underground Services Ltd., E. Cummings Contracting Inc., Perfection Paving Ltd. and Charters Construction Ltd. were the recipients of the contracts.
- Date Modified: