Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of railway and yard locomotive engineers, railway yard workers and railway labourers. They are employed by railway transport companies.
railway transport operations supervisor, road foreman/woman, freight train, stationmaster, trainmaster, yard foreman/woman – railway, yardmaster – railway.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate trains, drive locomotives in railway yards and perform other duties related to railway operations
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other units
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve performance
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policy
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions
- Prepare work reports.
Outlook & Prospects for Supervisors, Railway Transport Operations in West Coast--Northern Peninsula--Labrador Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Newfoundland and Labrador.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||(Undetermined)||2014-06-25|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in Newfoundland and Labrador with few and infrequent job opportunities.
According to the Labour Force Survey, less than 500 people worked in this occupation in 2013 in Newfoundland and Labrador.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Avalon Peninsula Region||(Undetermined)||2014-07-31|
|Notre Dame-Central-Bonavista Bay Region||(Undetermined)||2014-07-31|
|South Coast--Burin Peninsula Region||(Undetermined)||2014-07-31|
|West Coast--Northern Peninsula--Labrador Region||(Undetermined)||2014-07-31|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- June 2014 | (PDF, 612 KB)
- May 2014 | (PDF, 614 KB)
- April 2014 | (PDF, 525 KB)
- March 2014 | (PDF, 620 KB)
- February 2014 | (PDF, 592 KB)
- January 2014 | (PDF, 478 KB)
- Annual Edition 2013 | (PDF, 745 KB) new
- December 2013 | (PDF, 542 KB)
- November 2013 | (PDF, 538 KB)
- October 2013 | (PDF, 550 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 441 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 441 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 507 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 242 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 441 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 525 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 239 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 436 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 478 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 266 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Aug 18 - Aug 22, 2014
- The provincial government announced $3.3M in funding for new facilities, road upgrades and water and sewer infrastructure for Baie Verte - Springdale. The projects will be cost-shared by the provincial government and the District of Baie Verte - Springdale.
- The provincial government announced $1.7M in funding to four long-term care facilities in St. John's for facility upgrades and equipment
- The provincial government announced $157,000 in funding to purchase new firefighting equipment for communities in the District of Grand Falls-Windsor - Buchans. The funding will be cost-shared by the provincial government and the towns.
- The provincial government announced $12.5M in funding for infrastructure upgrades in the District of Grand Falls-Windsor - Buchans. The project will be cost-shared by the provincial government and the towns.
- The provincial government announced $183,000 in funding to purchase a new fire truck and firefighting equipment for the District of Grand Falls-Windsor - Green Bay South. The funding will be cost-shared by the provincial government and the towns.
- The provincial government announced $1.2M in funding for infrastructure in the District of Grand Falls-Windsor - Green Bay South, including water and sewer upgrades and the expansion of the Triton fire hall. The funding will be cost-shared with the towns.
- The provincial government announced $145,000 in funding for a new fire truck and equipment for the District of Baie Verte-Springdale. The funding will be cost-shared by the provincial government and the towns.
- Three new contracts valued at $22M have been awarded, relating to retail land and the Glencrest Industrial Centre in the Galway development in St. John's. Work to develop access to the site, landscaping, asphalt laying and line painting will begin soon.
- The provincial government awarded a $2.3M contract to LSG Construction of Gander to complete site preparation work for the construction of a new school in Gander
- The provincial government is cost-sharing $2.9M in funding for capital works projects and fire protection equipment in the District of Humber East
- The Exploits region received $1.5M in provincial funding for improvements to water infrastructure, paving and the installation of lift stations
- St. John¿s-based Talon Energy Services Inc., which specializes in energy services and solutions for the oil and gas sector, has received $500,000 in funding from the federal government to establish an industrial fabrication facility in Port aux Basques
- A $3.3M tender for site preparation for the construction of a new school to replace Virginia Park Elementary in St. John¿s has been awarded to Marco Services Ltd., also of St. John¿s
- Growing Forward 2 (GF2), which provides federal and provincial funding for Canada's agricultiural sector, is continuing to support NL¿s agricultural industry by allocating $6M in funding for 95 projects to support agricultural innovation in the province
- Scheduling and equipment delivery has delayed the opening of a salmon processing plant in Harbour Breton, which had been hoped to be operational by summer or fall. The plant is now expected to open in February 2015 and will employ 150 people.
- The provincial government is providing more than $745,000 to the Dr. H. Twomey Health Centre in Botwood for new equipment and infrastructure upgrades
- A $2.3M tender for the extension of Elizabeth Park Elementary in Paradise has been awarded to Redwood Construction Ltd. of Mount Pearl
- Edmonton-based Valard Construction has been announced as the builder on the overland portions of the Labrador-Island link
- The provincial government is partnering with various communities in the District of Terra Nova to invest $1.4M in water, sewage and road improvement projects
- Codroy Seafoods has received a $100,000 grant from the provincial government to upgrade refrigeration equipment. They employ 70 people for as many as 24 weeks annually.
- The provincial government is partnering with various communities in the Port de Grave District to invest $1.4M in water, sewage and road improvement projects
- The provincial government is partnering with the Town of Bay Roberts to provide $3.9M for road improvements and water and sewage system upgrades
- The provincial government is providing more than $870,000 to the Valley Vista Senior Citizen¿s Home and the Green Bay Health Centre in Springdale for minor upgrades and purchases to improve patient care
- A $390,000 contract has been awarded to P & B Trucking and Rentals for site development of the new health care facility to replace the Green Bay Heath Centre in Springdale
- The Labrador Aboriginal Training Partnership is offering wage subsidies to businesses in Happy Valley-Goose Bay who hire trainees from their program. Business owners are hoping this will help them keep staff as construction continues at Muskrat Falls.
- Cooke Aquaculture currently employs 27 full-time and nine casual workers at its fish processing plant in Hermitage-Sandyville. Operations are expected to continue with varying levels of employment over the next few months.
- Heddle Marine Service Newfoundland has been awarded a $3M contract for refit work on the Canadian Coast Guard Vessel CCGS Cygnus. Work is scheduled to begin this month and finish in January 2015.
- The provincial government is partnering with the towns of Bonavista, Elliston and Trinity Bay North to provide $1.2M for road improvements, bridge building and water system upgrades
- Construction on the new hospital for Corner Brook is now underway. The provincial government awarded $17M in contracts in July to get construction started. The hospital is expected to be completed by 2019.
- Husky Energy's South White Rose project is in the final stages of the project and is now focused on oil production equipment. Installation vessels have started to arrive for the 2014 installation program.
- The provincial government announced $245,000 in funding for the purchase of a new pumper truck to support fire protection services in George's Brook-Milton
- The provincial government awarded a $188,000 contract to Coastal Building Products and Services Ltd. of Mount Pearl to replace the windows at Tricon Elementary in Bay de Verde
- The National Association of Public Employees, representing over 300 workers, and Country Ribbon Inc. in St. John's have ratified a new three-year collective agreement
- The provincial government and the Town of Portugal Cove-St. Phillip's will cost-share $2.8M in multi-year capital works funding for water and sewer projects in Town of Portugal Cove-St. Phillip's
- The provincial government announced $100,000 in funding to Codroy Seafood's to purchase a new cooling system for its lobster holding facility
- The provincial government announced $565,000 in funding for infrastructure upgrades and health care projects in Grand Bank
- The provincial government announced $125,000 in funding for the purchase of a new fire response unit for Heart's Delight-Islington
- The new $33M recreation facility attached to the Reid Community Centre in Mount Pearl will be named the Summit Centre. The new facility is scheduled to open early in September.
- The provincial and federal governments have given more than $1.6M in funding to the Long Harbour Development Corporation for the construction of a hydromet supply park adjacent to Vale's Hydromet facility in Long Harbour - Arlington Heights
- Date Modified: