Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: <i>Machinists and Machining and Tooling Inspectors</i> (7231), <i>Tool and Die Makers</i> (7232) and <i>Machining Tool Operators</i> (9511). They are employed by metal products manufacturing companies and machine shops.
foreman/woman, automotive machine shop, foreman/woman, machinists, foreman/woman, maintenance machine shop, foreman/woman, tool and die makers, supervisor, machine shop, supervisor, machinists, supervisor, metal mould and metal patternmakers, supervisor, tool and die inspectors.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who machine metal into parts, products, tools and dies or moulds with precise dimensions
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend work measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions
- Ensure standards for safe working conditions are observed
- Prepare production and other reports
- May set up machines and equipment and write programs for computer numerically controlled (CNC) machine tools
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
Outlook & Prospects for Supervisors, Machinists and Related Occupations in Kingston - Pembroke Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Ontario.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in Ontario with few and infrequent job opportunities.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Hamilton--Niagara Peninsula Region||(Undetermined)||2014-07-31|
|Kingston - Pembroke Region||(Undetermined)||2014-07-31|
|Stratford--Bruce Peninsula Region||(Undetermined)||2014-07-31|
Additional Provincial Prospects
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. This Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments. You can view a report specific to this occupation on: Provincial Job Futures - (Employment Prospects section) Web Site.
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- July 2014 | (PDF, 789 KB)
- June 2014 | (PDF, 660 KB)
- May 2014 | (PDF, 654 KB)
- April 2014 | (PDF, 742 KB)
- March 2014 | (PDF, 651 KB)
- February 2014 | (PDF, 648 KB)
- January 2014 | (PDF, 721 KB)
- Annual Edition 2013 | (PDF, 700 KB) new
- December 2013 | (PDF, 560 KB)
- November 2013 | (PDF, 568 KB)
- October 2013 | (PDF, 461 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 461 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 474 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 513 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 463 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 462 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 506 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 245 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 249 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 500 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 313 KB)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Aug 18 - Aug 22, 2014
- National Steel Car Ltd. in Hamilton will be hiring around 300 people for positions including welders, maintenance workers, electricians, pipefitters, millwrights, crane operators, fabricators and information technology workers
- The new Bass Pro Shops Outpost store in Niagara-on-the-Lake will be hiring about 200 to 250 people to fill positions including cashiers, greeters, stockers, marine technicians, boat riggers, boat detailers and boat sales consultants
- The Government of Ontario will invest $527M in 2014 to upgrade and expand highway infrastructure across Northern Ontario
- The Meridian Centre spectator facility in St. Catharines will be hiring for over 200 part-time positions including ushers, conversion crew members and food and beverage and box office positions
- The Government of Ontario has selected MHPM Project Managers Inc. and SNC-Lavalin O&M to deliver 1,500 construction and improvement projects worth an estimated $180M annually over the next five years
- The GM CAMI Assembly plant in Ingersoll announced plans to hire up to 120 part-time workers
- Statistics Canada is hiring supervisory and non-supervisory staff in Peterborough and Toronto to prepare for the Census test this fall
- GoodLife Fitness Centres Inc. plans to open 50 Fit4Less budget fitness clubs across Canada by the end of 2014
- Ryohin Keikaku Co., Ltd. will open the first Canadian Muji store in downtown Toronto in mid-December 2014
- Chrysler Canada Inc. plans to hire about 60 hourly production workers for its Windsor assembly plant through an employee referral process that will result in a job lottery to be held in August
- Seasons Retirement Communities GP Inc. is seeking staff for the Oak's Inn Retirement Community facility in Wallaceburg. Positions include head chef, RPN care supervisor and attendants for care, lifestyle, dietary, and housekeeping. (available in French only)
- Pure Gold Mining Inc. has begun a $4M exploration drilling program at its Madsen Gold Project in Red Lake (available in French only)
- The Thunder Bay Port Authority has hired 40 temporary workers to manage an increase in grain shipment volumes (available in French only)
- Big Rock Brewery Inc. will open a brewpub in Toronto's Liberty Village neighbourhood by mid-2015
- The Louis Cifer Brew Works brewpub will be opening on Toronto's Danforth Avenue in fall 2014
- A new Popeyes Louisiana Chicken restaurant opened in Welland creating 26 new jobs
- Windsor Family Credit Union Ltd. opened a new branch in the Innovation Centre on the University of Windsor Campus in August
- The Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority has awarded a $943K contract to Toronto-based Delcan Corporation to design an intelligent transportation system for the new border crossing
- Box, a new discount grocery store line by Loblaw Companies Ltd., opened a new store in east Hamilton
- DAVWIRE (Defense & Aviation Wiring Inc.) is expanding its facilities in London and will add about 12 positions as a result of entering into an agreement to acquire the manufacturing division of Rutter Inc. of St. John's, Newfoundland
- The Temagami First Nation received $1M from the Government of Canada to create a commercial space in the community's new multi-use facility and business centre
- Wallaceburg's Baldoon Golf Club in Chatham-Kent has been sold and the course will be converted to farmland
- The City of Sudbury will no longer operate the Junior Citizens Day Care as a municipally-run service, affecting 22 employees
- U.S.-based ATK Sporting Group, owner of rifle manufacturer Savage Arms Canada Inc., will lay off 25 employees at its Lakefield manufacturing plant
- Ottawa-based DVD rental company Zip.ca Inc. has announced it will close after 10 years in business. The job impact is unknown.
- Kirkland Lake Gold Inc. has reduced its workforce by 206 employees since introducing cost-cutting measures in November 2013
- The Kellogg's Canada Inc. plant in London will be laying off about 300 workers in September and 180 workers upon the plant's closure in December
- Staples Inc. plans to shut about 140 stores in the US and Canada in 2014 as a part of its plans to close 225 stores through 2015
- Grafoid Inc., a graphene research, development and investment company, will open a new R & D facility at the Queen¿s Innovation Park in Kingston in August, creating 160 jobs once fully established
- Visual effects company Stereo D is planning to open a Toronto office with approximately 100 employees in November 2014
- Cobourg Development Services Ltd. has been awarded a $16.9M tender for the North East feedermain project in Belleville, with completion expected by the end of 2015
- Software company SAP Canada Inc. will open its first Canadian data center in Markham, which will be operational by the end of 2014
- Construction is set to begin on a FedEx Ground distribution facility in the North East Industrial Park in Belleville
- Rentech, Inc.'s wood pellet manufacturing facility in Atikokan is expected to begin commercial production later this month
- Fowler Construction Company Ltd. has begun work on a $4.3M project on Highway 11 in north Muskoka, scheduled for completion by November
- Park Lane Farms has started production at the new medical marijuana facility in Niagara-on-the-Lake. The facility currently employs about 15 workers but expects employment levels to increase to 50-60 workers.
- Speedy Transport Group, Inc. plans to start construction in the fall on a new facility in Brockville, which is expected to open in early 2015, creating 13 jobs on-site and additional truck driver positions
- A $2.3M redevelopment of Prescott¿s waterfront park will begin in August and is scheduled to open to the public in summer 2015
- G. Gordon Enterprises of Georgetown has begun site preparation activities worth $1.6M for the new Rosewarne Landfill extension in Bracebridge
- Construction is underway on the expansion of the Victoria Park Seniors¿ Centre in Fergus, Centre Wellington. The project is expected to cost over $1.34M and is scheduled for completion in early December.
- The Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn stores on Toronto¿s Bloor Street West will close in 2015
- The Government of Ontario announced upgrades to highway infrastructure in Northeastern Ontario, supporting 786 jobs
- The Government of Ontario announced upgrades to highway infrastructure in Northwestern Ontario, supporting 395 jobs
- Resolute Forest Products has begun recruiting for the sawmill currently under construction in Sapawe near Atikokan, expected to be operational by summer 2015
- D¿Orsogna Dolciaria s.r.l., an Italian-based sweets manufacturer, will open its first North America distribution centre in Trenton this fall, creating 70 jobs once fully operational
- R.M.P. Construction & Development Limited has started construction on the 32-unit Edison Building and plans to start work on the 52-unit Bell Building in early 2015 in the Cotton Mills condominium complex in Cornwall
- Construction is underway on a new Dollar Tree retail store at the Heritage Grove Shopping Centre in Owen Sound
- Giant Tiger Stores Limited will open a second location in Sarnia in spring 2015
- Construction is underway on the new $700,000 Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre in Napanee and is scheduled for completion by November
- Renovations are underway for a new Anytime Fitness franchise location in Ingersol. The club is expected to open in October and will employ 11 staff.
- BlackBerry Incorporated announced that it has completed the restructuring notification process and workforce reduction which began three years ago and has plans to begin modest hiring in certain areas of the business
- GRK Canada Limited, a manufacturer and supplier of screws and other construction fasteners in Thunder Bay, will be relocating operations to the United States by the end of the year, affecting around 40 employees
- The Village at St. Clair, a new long-term care facility in Windsor, opened in July creating 325 new jobs
- NextEra Energy Canada will soon begin construction on the $300M Goshen Wind Energy Centre in Huron County near the shoreline of Lake Huron. The 60-turbine wind farm project is expected to generate 300 construction jobs.
- Tigercat Industries Inc. broke ground on a new manufacturing plant in Paris. Vicano Construction Limited is building the facility which, once operational, will create over 250 jobs for material handlers, office workers, fabricators and assembly persons.
- Aecon Construction and Materials Limited has been awarded a $17.8M project by the Government of Ontario and the City of London to build a new interchange at Highway 401 and Wonderland Road, supporting 180 construction jobs
- Construction work is proceeding on a three-year, $150M project to reline two shaft walls at the Sifto Canada Corp. salt mine in Goderich
- Options for Homes, an affordable housing builder, broke ground in July on a 155-unit RiverFront condominium project in Cambridge
- General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada in London secured a $67M contract with the Peruvian Ministry of Defence for 32 light-armoured vehicles
- Several schools in the Upper Canada District School Board and the Roman Catholic School Board of Eastern Ontario are undergoing renovations and expansions worth over $10M
- Construction on the first phase of the Ontario Place revitalization project in Toronto will begin over the next few months, with an expected completion date in 2016
- Goodness Me! will be opening a distribution centre in Brantford, which is expected to employ 35 workers when fully operational
- Charis Developments Ltd. broke ground on the Mountain View Town Centre in Collingwood in July. The centre will house medical offices, a Bank of Montreal branch and a Rexall pharmacy and is scheduled to open in early 2015.
- Windsor Regional Hospital's Ouellette Campus received $18M from the Government of Ontario to expand its cardiac catheterization lab, with construction expected to begin in 2015
- The Thunder Bay Regional Research Institute received $4M from the Government of Ontario to fund health care research in the early detection and treatment of disease, creating 29 high-skilled jobs
- Construction is underway on the $9.2M Somerset-Donald Street pedestrian bridge, which will connect the communities of Overbrook and Vanier with Sandy Hill in Ottawa. Completion is scheduled for summer 2016.
- VIA Rail Canada will assume operation of the passenger rail service between Sudbury and White River at the end of July, resulting in the creation of six positions for locomotive engineers and onboard service managers
- NAPP Canada will host a series of job fairs in the Greater Toronto Area this fall
- Cinram International Inc., a manufacturer and distributor of pre-recorded media products, has moved its Canadian production operations out of Toronto, eliminating approximately 55 jobs
- Date Modified: