Posted on September 12, 2022
*POSITION OVERVIEW: *
Under the direction of the Administration, the Brighton College Librarian is responsible for ensuring that the Library continues to support the academic culture of Brighton College. The Brighton College Librarian is generally responsible for managing, upkeep and maintenance of the particular campus library to which he or she is assigned, including curating its collections and scheduling and supervision of Library Assistants and student workers. The librarian performs duties related to circulation, cataloging, research help and database management. Moreover, the Librarian liaises with faculty to provide research and information literacy workshops, collection development, as well as one-on-one research appointments with students. The Librarian will liaise with the Alexander College Librarian as there will be shared resources.
This position requires a Master?s in Library and Information Studies (or equivalent) from an ALA accredited institution. The ideal candidate will have a working understanding of librarianship in a postsecondary environment, including Library of Congress classification, ILS use and management and records keeping. The successful candidate should also have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, good interpersonal and service skills.
*EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: *
· Master?s degree from an ALA-accredited school
· Enthusiastic recent graduate with minimum of one year?s experience working in an educational institution in a library setting preferred (transferable skills from other areas will be considered)
· Experience working with International students desired
· Excellent interpersonal & relationship building skills
· Knowledge of the BC College and University system
· Superior leadership and team work capabilities
· Superior oral and written communication skills
· Ability to maintain professionalism and cordiality when working with others
· Strong ability to take initiative and complete tasks as assigned
· Strong familiarity with Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Excel
· Ability to maintain collegial relationships with other staff members
· Broad knowledge of academic library service issues
· Familiarity with current and emerging technology and information resources
· Demonstrated management experience
· Demonstrated instructional experience (preferably in ESL or academic settings)
· Demonstrated experience with website maintenance, and the operation of an Integrated Library System
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with users from a wide variety of cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
*1. **Supervise and Coordinate Library Staff*
§ Provide scheduling for staff and student workers as needed
§ Participate in and facilitate Library Unit meetings
§ Assist with hiring within the Library Unit
§ Assist with Unit assessment and provide term and annual reports
§ Represent Brighton College Library at internal and external events and meetings
*2. **Supervise Library Space and Collections*
§ Supervise and maintain the Library?s physical space, its resources, and manage auxiliary library staff (e.g.: student workers in the library, Library Assistants).
§ Perform collection development activities and maintenance, in accordance with Brighton College policies and guidelines. (e.g. purchasing, cataloging, & weeding)
· Work with course instructors to order and add recommended reading list books for new courses or curriculum updates to collection.
§ Coordinate, produce and distribute student ID cards.
§ Create, update, and maintain student printing accounts.
*3. **Provide Reference and Instructional Services*
§ Offer and/or coordinate information and learning resource services to students, staff and instructors at the Academic Support Centre at Brighton College.
§ Provide reference services in traditional and virtual contexts.
§ Provide library orientations and information literacy wor
Salary$50,000 to $60,000YEAR annually
Terms of employment
Permanent employmentFull time
- Start date
Starts as soon as possible
Important notice: This job posting has been provided by a partner site. Job Bank is not responsible for this content.