Job description Transport Driver near Toronto (ON)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "transport driver" was moved from the group Transport truck drivers (NOC 7511) to the group Transport truck drivers (NOC 73300).
Find out what work is like for a transport driver in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Transport truck drivers (NOC 73300).
Transport truck drivers
Transport truck drivers drive straight trucks or tractor-trailers to transport freight. Long-haul truck drivers operate heavy trucks over urban, interurban, provincial and international routes, while short-haul and local transport truck drivers operate over urban and short interurban routes. They are employed by transportation, manufacturing, distribution and moving companies, and trucking employment service agencies, or they may be self-employed.
- Long-haul transport truck drivers
- Operate and drive primarily tractor-trailor, long-combination vehicle and straight-body trucks weighing over 4500 kg to transport goods and materials over long distances
- Plan trip logistics and obtain required documentation to transport goods
- Perform pre-trip, en route and post-trip inspection of vehicle systems, equipment and accessories such as tires, lights and turning signals, brakes and cold storage
- Ensure cargo is secured properly in accordance with safety requirements and follow safety procedures for transporting dangerous goods
- Obtain special permits and other documents required to transport cargo on international routes
- Record cargo information, hours of service, distance travelled and fuel consumption
- Administer bills of lading and manually or electronically maintain log books
- Communicate with dispatcher, other drivers and customers using communication devices and on-board computers
- May perform emergency roadside repairs
- May drive as part of a two-person team or convoy
- May transport hazardous products or dangerous goods.
- Short-haul and local transport truck drivers
- Operate and drive primarily straight trucks to transport goods and materials mainly on local routes and short interurban routes
- Perform pre-trip, en route and post-trip inspection and oversee all aspects of vehicle such as condition of equipment, and loading and unloading of cargo
- May drive special purpose trucks such as tow trucks, dump trucks, hydrovac trucks or cement mixing trucks.
- bulk goods truck driver
- dump truck driver
- flatbed truck driver
- heavy truck driver
- logging truck driver
- long haul truck driver
- moving van driver
- shunt truck driver
- tow truck driver
- tractor-trailer truck driver
- transport driver
- truck driver
- Public works maintenance equipment operators and related workers
- College and other vocational instructors
- Supervisors, motor transport and other ground transit operators
- Delivery service drivers and door-to-door distributors
- Railway and motor transport labourers
- Date modified: