Job description Furniture Refinishing Varnisher in Canada
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "furniture refinishing varnisher" was moved from the group Furniture finishers and refinishers (NOC 9534) to the group Furniture and fixture assemblers, finishers, refinishers and inspectors (NOC 94210).
Find out what work is like for a furniture refinishing varnisher in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Furniture finishers and refinishers (NOC 94210).
Furniture and fixture assemblers, finishers, refinishers and inspectors
Furniture and fixture assemblers assemble parts to form subassemblies or complete articles of furniture and fixtures. Furniture finishers finish new wood or metal furniture to specified colour and finish. Furniture refinishers refinish repaired, used or old furniture. Inspectors inspect furniture and fixture subassemblies and finished products to ensure product quality. They are employed by furniture manufacturing companies, manufacturing plants, retail furniture stores, refinishing and repair shops, or may be self-employed.
- Furniture and fixture assemblers
- Prepare, sand and trim wooden furniture and fixture parts using hand and power tools
- Assemble wooden or metal furniture and fixture parts to form subassemblies and complete articles using hand and power tools
- Assemble a combination of parts made of wood, metal, plastic, cane or other materials to form subassemblies or complete furniture articles
- Reinforce assembled furniture and fixtures with dowels or other supports
- Install hardware such as hinges or clasps on furniture and fixtures.
- Furniture finishers
- Set up and operate finishing machines or finish furniture by hand
- Stain or finish wood to specified colour with stains, paints or other materials using brush or spray gun
- Apply toners, highlights, glazes or shaders to obtain desired finish
- Apply lacquer or other sealers
- Decorate wood surfaces or mark surfaces to create antique or other effects using hand and power tools
- Clean and polish furniture
- Sand metal furniture to prepare for finish and spray with paint or other materials.
- Furniture refinishers
- Strip old finish from wood surfaces using steel wool, sandpaper and solvents
- Smooth gouges with wood filler and sand wood
- Match colours to obtain original finish and apply appropriate finish to stripped wood
- Polish and wax refinished surfaces
- Sand or grind metal surfaces to prepare for coating, and paint metal surfaces using electrostatic method, spray gun or other painting equipment
- Make minor repairs to furniture
- May perform duties of furniture finisher.
- Furniture and fixture inspectors
- Inspect furniture and fixture subassemblies and finished products for conformance to quality standards
- Mark defective parts or products for repair
- Make minor adjustments and repairs
- Record information on products inspected.
- assembly inspector - furniture manufacturing
- chair assembler
- desk assembler
- finishing machine operator - furniture manufacturing
- fixture assembler
- furniture assembler
- furniture finisher
- furniture inspector
- furniture polisher - furniture finishing
- furniture refinisher
- furniture stainer
- furniture stripper
- metal furniture assembler
- table assembler
- touch-up person - furniture finishing
- trimmer - furniture finishing
- wash-off operator - furniture finishing
- wood finisher - furniture finishing and refinishing
- wood furniture assembler
- Woodworking machine operators
- Assemblers and inspectors of other wood products
- Supervisors, furniture and fixtures manufacturing
- Date modified: