Job description Apartment Building Maintenance Worker in Northwest Territories
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "apartment building maintenance worker" was moved from the group Janitors, caretakers and building superintendents (NOC 6733) to the group General building maintenance workers and building superintendents (NOC 73201).
Find out what work is like for an apartment building maintenance worker in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Janitors, caretakers and building superintendents (NOC 73201).
General building maintenance workers and building superintendents
General building maintenance workers perform tasks related to the general maintenance of buildings. They execute minor repair work, maintain equipment and installations and perform preventive inspection of systems relating to building mechanics. Building superintendents employed in large establishments are responsible for the operation of the establishment and may also supervise other workers. They are employed by office and apartment building management companies, condominium corporations, educational institutions, health care facilities, recreational and shopping facilities, religious, industrial and other establishments.
- Make adjustments and minor repairs to heating, cooling, ventilating, plumbing and electrical systems, and contact tradespersons for major repairs
- perform other routine maintenance jobs such as painting and drywall repair
- maintain inventory of supplies and equipment and make minor purchases as required
- respond to requests from residents for minor repairs
- perform daily inspections on the building systems
- provide general assistance to skilled trade persons such as mechanics, electricians, carpenters and plumbers
- coordinate the preparation of housing units prior to the arrival of new residents
- ensure that security and safety measures are in place in the establishment
- may advertise vacancies, show apartments and offices to prospective tenants and collect rent
- may process lease or rental applications, including completion of background and credit checks
- May move heavy furniture, equipment and supplies
- May supervise other workers.
- apartment building maintenance worker
- building operator - maintenance
- building superintendent
- Janitors, caretakers and heavy-duty cleaners
- Residential and commercial installers and servicers
- Other repairers and servicers
- Date modified: