Job description Automotive Service Technician - Steering, Suspension And Brakes near Terrebonne (QC)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "automotive service technician - steering, suspension and brakes" was moved from the group Automotive service technicians, truck and bus mechanics and mechanical repairers (NOC 7321) to the group Automotive service technicians, truck and bus mechanics and mechanical repairers (NOC 72410).
Find out what work is like for an automotive service technician - steering, suspension and brakes in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Automotive service technicians, truck and bus mechanics and mechanical repairers (NOC 72410).
Automotive service technicians, truck and bus mechanics and mechanical repairers
Automotive service technicians, truck and bus mechanics and mechanical repairers inspect, diagnose, repair and service mechanical, electrical and electronic systems and components of cars, buses, and light and commercial transport trucks. They are employed by motor vehicle dealers, garages, truck and trailer dealerships, fleet maintenance companies, and service stations, automotive specialty shops, transportation companies and retail establishments which have automotive service shops. This unit group also includes mechanical repairers who perform major repairs and replacement of mechanical units on newly assembled motor vehicles. They are employed by motor vehicle manufacturing companies. Apprentices are also included in this unit group.
- Automotive service technicians
- Review work orders and discuss work with supervisor
- Inspect motor in operation, road test motor vehicle, and test automotive systems and components using computerized diagnostic and other testing devices to diagnose and isolate faults
- Adjust, repair or replace parts and components of automotive systems including fuel system, brakes, steering and suspension, engine and drive train, emission control and exhaust, cooling and climate control, and electrical and electronic systems using hand tools and other specialized automotive repair equipment
- Test and adjust repaired systems to manufacturer's performance specifications
- Perform scheduled maintenance service, such as oil changes, lubrications and tune ups
- Advise customers on work performed, general vehicle condition and future repair requirements.
- Mechanical repairers - motor vehicle manufacturing
- Inspect and test mechanical units, such as engines, transmissions, axles and brake systems, to locate faults and malfunctions
- Diagnose faults or malfunctions and confirm findings with supervisor to determine whether to repair or replace unit
- Repair or replace mechanical units or components using hand and power tools
- Test and adjust units to specifications for proper performance
- Complete reports to record problems and work performed.
- Truck and transport and truck-trailer mechanics
- Adjust, repair or replace parts and components of commercial transport truck systems including chassis, frame, cab, body, engine and drive train, air brakes, steering, and fuel, hydraulic, electrical and electronic systems
- Adjust, repair or replace parts and components of truck-trailer systems including structural, brake and electrical systems.
- apprentice motor vehicle mechanic
- automobile mechanic
- automotive service technician
- brake systems mechanic
- bus mechanic
- mechanical upgrader - motor vehicle manufacturing
- motor repairer - motor vehicle manufacturing
- transmission mechanic
- truck and transport mechanic
- truck-trailer repairer
- tune-up specialist - motor vehicle
- Mechanical assemblers and inspectors
- Heavy-duty equipment mechanics
- Motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle and other related mechanics
- Auto body collision, refinishing and glass technicians and damage repair estimators
- Motor vehicle assemblers, inspectors and testers
- Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades
- Supervisors, motor vehicle assembling
- Date modified: