Job description District Representative, Government Agricultural Service in Canada
Find out what work is like for a district representative, government agricultural service in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists (NOC 2123).
Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists
Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists provide assistance and advice to farmers on all aspects of farm management, cultivation, fertilization, harvesting, soil erosion and composition, disease prevention, nutrition, crop rotation and marketing. They are employed by businesses, institutions and governments that assist the farming community, or they may be self-employed.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Provide counselling and advisory services to farmers on crop cultivation and fertilization, harvesting, animal and poultry care, disease prevention, farm management, farm financing, marketing and other agricultural subjects
- Prepare and conduct advisory information sessions and lectures for farmers and other groups
- Conduct research, analyze agricultural data and prepare research reports
- Liaise with researchers, educators and government or business managers on matters pertaining to farming and agriculture
- Maintain records of services provided and the effects of advice given.
- Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists may specialize in specific aspects of agriculture such as animal science, field crops, horticulture, soil science, irrigation or drainage, farm management, marketing, agricultural economics, land use, and environmental management, appraisal or extension and education.
- field service adviser - agriculture
- agricultural consultant
- agricultural extension supervisor
- agricultural livestock specialist
- consulting agrologist
- crop specialist
- farm management consultant
- agricultural soil and crop specialist
- professional agrologist (P.Ag.)
- agricultural representative
- growers' advisor
- field service agent - agriculture
- Biological technologists and technicians
- Architecture and science managers
- Biologists and related scientists
- Other professional engineers, n.e.c.
- Government managers - economic analysis, policy development and program administration
- Landscape and horticulture technicians and specialists
- Date modified: