Job description Gas Fitter in Ontario
Find out what work is like for a gas fitter in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Gas fitters (NOC 72302).
Gas fitters install, inspect, repair and maintain gas lines and gas equipment such as meters, regulators and heating units in residential, commercial and industrial establishments. They are employed by gas utility companies and gas servicing companies. Apprentices are also included in this unit group.
- Study drawings and specifications to determine the layout of the installation and materials required
- Measure and mark reference points for installation of gas lines and equipment
- Install and maintain gas meters and regulators and gas lines between gas unit and gas meter
- Install, maintain and service gas heating units and their components, such as burners, valves and automatic controls
- Test and replace defective equipment or components
- Test and adjust control mechanisms and check pipes and piping connections for gas leaks using gas detecting devices
- Attend to gas escape calls and assist in the investigation of gas fires and explosions
- Prepare reports on work performed and condition of facilities
- Advise clients regarding standards, safety features and maintenance of gas units and systems
- Convert motor vehicles or appliances to use natural gas fuels
- May repair and service gas appliances and related equipment.
- gas fitter
- gas fitter apprentice
- gas servicer
- gas technician
- industrial gas fitter-tester
- Appliance servicers and repairers
- Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers
- Contractors and supervisors, pipefitting trades
- Date modified: