Job description Food Counter Attendant in the Estrie Region
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "food counter attendant" was moved from the group Food counter attendants, kitchen helpers and related support occupations (NOC 6711) to the group Food counter attendants, kitchen helpers and related support occupations (NOC 65201).
Find out what work is like for a food counter attendant in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Food counter attendants, kitchen helpers and related support occupations (NOC 65201).
Food counter attendants, kitchen helpers and related support occupations
Food counter attendants and food preparers prepare, heat and finish cooking simple food items and serve customers at food counters. Kitchen helpers, food service helpers and dishwashers clear tables, clean kitchen areas, wash dishes, and perform various other activities to assist workers who prepare or serve food and beverages. They are employed by restaurants, cafés, hotels, fast food outlets, cafeterias, hospitals and other establishments.
- Food counter attendants and food preparers
- Take customers' orders
- Clean, peel, slice and trim foodstuffs using manual and electric appliances
- Use deep fryer, grill, oven, dispensers and other equipment to prepare fast food items such as sandwiches, hamburgers, fries, salads, ice cream dishes, milkshakes and other beverages
- Portion, assemble, and wrap food or place it directly on plates for service to patrons, and package take-out food
- Use equipment to prepare hot beverages such as coffee and tea specialties
- Serve customers at counters or buffet tables
- Stock refrigerators and salad bars and keep records of the quantities of food used
- May receive payment for food items purchased.
- Kitchen helpers
- Wash and peel vegetables and fruit
- Wash work tables, cupboards and appliances
- Remove trash and clean kitchen garbage containers
- Unpack and store supplies in refrigerators, cupboards and other storage areas
- Sweep and mop floors, and perform other duties to assist cook and kitchen staff.
- Food service helpers
- Clear and clean tables and trays in eating establishments
- Bring clean dishes, flatware and other items to serving areas and set tables
- Replenish condiments and other supplies at tables and in serving areas
- Remove dishes before and after courses
- Perform other duties such as scraping and stacking dishes, carrying linen to and from laundry area and running errands.
- Wash dishes, glassware, flatware, pots and pans using dishwasher or by hand
- Place dishes in storage area
- Scour pots and pans, and may clean and polish silverware.
- bartender helper
- bus boy/girl
- cafeteria counter attendant
- cook's helper
- fast-food preparer
- food counter attendant
- food preparer
- food service helper
- ice cream counter attendant
- kitchen helper
- salad bar attendant
- sandwich maker
- Date modified: