Job description Electrical Engineer in Canada
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "electrical engineer" was moved from the group Electrical and electronics engineers (NOC 2133) to the group Electrical and electronics engineers (NOC 21310).
Find out what work is like for an electrical engineer in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Electrical and electronics engineers (NOC 21310).
Electrical and electronics engineers
Electrical and electronics engineers design, plan, research, evaluate and test electrical and electronic equipment and systems. They are employed by electrical utilities, communications companies, manufacturers of electrical and electronic equipment, consulting firms, and by a wide range of manufacturing, processing and transportation industries and government.
- Conduct research into the feasibility, design, operation and performance of electrical generation and distribution networks, electrical machinery and components and electronic communications, instrumentation and control systems, equipment, and components
- Prepare material cost and timing estimates, reports and design specifications for electrical and electronic systems and equipment
- Design electrical and electronic circuits, components, systems and equipment
- Conduct micro or nanodevices simulations, characterization, process modeling and integration in the development of new electronic devices and products
- Supervise and inspect the installation, modification, testing and operation of electrical and electronic systems and equipment
- Develop maintenance and operating standards for electrical and electronic systems and equipment
- Investigate electrical or electronic failures
- Prepare contract documents and evaluate tenders for construction or maintenance
- Supervise technicians, technologists, programmers, analysts and other engineers.
- avionics engineer
- control systems engineer
- electrical design engineer
- electrical distribution planning engineer
- electrical engineer
- electrical network engineer
- electrical process control engineer
- electrical systems planning engineer
- electronics engineer
- electronics test engineer
- instrumentation and control engineer
- roadway lighting design engineer
- television systems engineer
- Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
- Engineering managers
- Software engineers and designers
- Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians
- Date modified: