Job description Geomatics Technician - Land Surveying in Canada
Find out what work is like for a geomatics technician - land surveying in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Land survey technologists and technicians (NOC 2254).
Land survey technologists and technicians
Land survey technologists and technicians conduct or participate in surveys to determine the exact locations and relative positions of natural features and other structures on the earth's surface, underground and underwater. They are employed by all levels of government, architectural and engineering firms, and by private sector surveying establishments.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Land survey technologists
- Assist survey engineers or professional surveyors to develop methods and procedures for conducting field surveys
- Conduct field surveys and operate survey instruments and computer equipment to measure distance, angles, elevations and contours
- Record measurements and other information obtained during field survey activities
- Determine precise geographic locations using global positioning systems (GPS) equipment
- Analyze latitude, longitude and angles and compute trigonometric and other calculations to plot features, contours and areas to a specific scale
- Prepare detailed drawings, charts and plans and survey notes and reports
- Supervise and co-ordinate field survey activities.
- Land survey technicians
- Participate in field surveys and operate survey instruments and devices
- Keep records, measurements and other survey information in systematic order
- Assist in the calculation, analysis and computation of measurements obtained during field surveys
- Assist in the preparation of detailed drawings, charts and plans.
- Land survey technologists and technicians may specialize in one of the following types of surveys: geodetic survey, topographic survey, legal (cadastral) survey or engineering survey.
- geomatics technologist - land surveying
- engineering survey technologist
- geodetic survey technologist
- transit operator - surveying
- land survey technician
- legal survey technician
- topographic survey technician
- Geological and mineral technologists and technicians
- Drafting technologists and technicians
- Technical occupations in geomatics and meteorology
- Civil engineering technologists and technicians
- Land surveyors
- Date modified: