Job description Switch Network Installer And Repairer - Telecommunications near Edmonton (AB)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "switch network installer and repairer - telecommunications" was moved from the group Telecommunications installation and repair workers (NOC 7246) to the group Telecommunications equipment installation and cable television service technicians (NOC 72205).
Find out what work is like for a switch network installer and repairer - telecommunications in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Telecommunications installation and repair workers (NOC 72205).
Telecommunications equipment installation and cable television service technicians
Telecommunications equipment installation and cable television service technicians install, test, maintain and repair cable and satellite television, internet signal and associate equipment, telephones, telephone switching equipment and other telecommunications equipment related to transmission and processing of voice, video signals and other data over a variety of media including fibre optics, microwave, radio and satellite. They are employed by cable and satellite television, telephone and other telecommunications transmission service companies. Apprentices are also included in this unit group.
- Telephone installers and repairers
- Install, arrange, remove and maintain telephone equipment, wiring and associated hardware
- Test installed telephone systems to locate transmission faults
- Repair or replace defective and damaged telephones, wire and associated equipment.
- Switch network installers and repairers
- Install electromechanical, analog and digital trunking systems, circuits and equipment in telecommunications central offices and switching centres
- Inspect and test trunking systems, circuits and equipment
- Analyze test results and adjust, change or repair switching system, network, associated equipment and software.
- Telecommunications service testers
- Operate computerized testing systems to conduct service tests on customer lines and equipment
- Determine the nature, cause and location of service trouble
- Dispatch appropriate repair personnel
- Complete test reports and maintain test and service records
- May assist repair personnel to test lines, circuits and systems, isolate and clear cable faults and verify records.
- Telecommunications equipment technicians
- Install, remove and maintain various telecommunications equipment and related systems such as telex and facsimile machines, teletypewriters, mobile radios, cellular telephones, pagers and other telecommunications equipment
- Configure operating systems and install software for access to the Internet
- Inspect and test operation of telecommunications equipment
- Diagnose and locate equipment faults, and adjust, replace or repair telecommunications equipment.
- Cable television service technicians
- Communicate with subscribers and company personnel to determine work assignments
- Connect, disconnect and relocate cable outlets, install splitters, converters, decoders, terminals, digital boxes and satellite equipment, and install other cable or wireless modems, routers and software to enable Internet access at subscriber’s premises
- Inspect, test and repair cable and satellite television signals and associated equipment at subscriber’s premises
- apprentice communication electrician - switching
- cablevision servicer
- cellular telephone technician
- direct broadcast satellite (DBS) technician - cable television
- exchange tester - telecommunications
- mobile radio installer - telecommunications
- private branch exchange (PBX) installer - telecommunications
- switch network installer and repairer - telecommunications
- telecommunications equipment technician
- telephone communication technician
- telephone installer
- telephone line and station installer
- Telecommunications line and cable installers and repairers
- Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations
- Electronic service technicians (household and business equipment)
- Date modified: