Job description Laser Beam Machine-welder Operator near Vancouver (BC)
Find out what work is like for a laser beam machine-welder operator in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Welders and related machine operators (NOC 7237).
Welders and related machine operators
Welders operate welding equipment to weld ferrous and non-ferrous metals. This unit group also includes machine operators who operate previously set up production welding, brazing and soldering equipment. They are employed by companies that manufacture structural steel and platework, boilers, heavy machinery, aircraft and ships and other metal products, and by welding contractors and welding shops, or they may be self-employed.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Read and interpret blueprints or welding process specifications
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment to fuse metal segments using processes such as gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW), gas metal arc welding (GMAW), flux-cored arc welding (FCAW), plasma arc welding (PAW), shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), oxy-acetylene welding (OAW), resistance welding and submerged arc welding (SAW)
- Operate manual or semi-automatic flame-cutting equipment
- Operate brazing and soldering equipment
- Operate metal shaping machines such as brakes, shears and other metal straightening and bending machines
- Repair worn parts of metal products by welding on extra layers.
- Welders may specialize in certain types of welding such as custom fabrication, ship building and repair, aerospace precision welding, pressure vessel welding, pipeline construction welding, structural construction welding, or machinery and equipment repair welding.
- Welding, brazing and soldering machine operators
- Operate previously set up welding machines such as spot, butt and seam resistance or gas and arc welding machines to fabricate or repair metal parts
- Operate previously set up brazing or soldering machines to bond metal parts or to fill holes, indentations and seams of metal articles with solder
- Start up, shut down, adjust and monitor robotic welding production line
- Assist with the maintenance and repair of welding, brazing and soldering equipment
- May adjust welding heads and tooling according to work specifications.
- welder apprentice
- electric arc welder
- journeyman/woman welder
- brazing machine operator
- brazing machine setter
- laser welding operator
- soldering machine operator
- spot welder
- production welder
- aviation welding technician
- submerged arc welder
- pressure vessel welder
- Geological and mineral technologists and technicians
- Non-destructive testers and inspection technicians
- Electronics assemblers, fabricators, inspectors and testers
- Contractors and supervisors, machining, metal forming, shaping and erecting trades and related occupations
- Date modified: