Job description Medical Administrative Assistant in Canada
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "medical administrative assistant" was moved from the group Medical administrative assistants (NOC 1243) to the group Medical administrative assistants (NOC 13112).
Find out what work is like for a medical administrative assistant in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Medical administrative assistants (NOC 13112).
Medical administrative assistants
Medical administrative assistants perform a variety of secretarial and administrative duties in doctor's offices, hospitals, medical clinics and other medical settings.
- Schedule and confirm medical appointments and receive and communicate messages for medical staff and patients
- Enter and format electronically based medical reports and correspondence and prepare spreadsheets and documents for review
- Interview patients in order to complete forms, documents and case histories
- Complete insurance and other claim forms
- Initiate and maintain confidential medical files and records
- Prepare draft agendas for meetings and take, transcribe and distribute minutes
- Prepare financial statements and billing
- Establish and maintain various internal office administrative support procedures such as document tracking and filing and monthly reporting
- Order supplies and maintain inventory
- Determine and establish office procedures and routines
- May supervise and train other staff in procedures and in use of current software.
- administrative assistant - medical
- medical secretary
- ward secretary
- General office support workers
- Court reporters, medical transcriptionists and related occupations
- Health information management occupations
- Date modified: