Job description Nurse Practitioner near Prince Rupert (BC)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "nurse practitioner" was moved from the group Allied primary health practitioners (NOC 3124) to the group Nurse practitioners (NOC 31302).
Find out what work is like for a nurse practitioner in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Allied primary health practitioners (NOC 31302).
Nurse practitioners are registered nurses with additional education, advanced knowledge and nursing experience, and a specialty of practice. They provide a range of health services to patients and deliver preventive and continuous care toward the management of patients' health. Nurse practitioners work in conjunction with physicians and collaboratively with other nursing colleagues and health-care providers, or they may work independently. They are employed in community health centres, hospitals, clinics, long-term care facilities, and rehabilitation centres. Nurse practitioners may specialize in primary healthcare or acute care.
- Examine patients and take their medical histories and consult with physicians and other medical practitioners to evaluate patients' physical and mental health
- Order laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic procedures
- Inoculate and vaccinate patients
- Advise patients and their families on health care including health promotion, disease, illness and accident prevention
- Collaborate with members of an interdisciplinary health team such as family physicians, therapists and nutritionists to plan, implement, coordinate and evaluate patient care in consultation with patients and their families
- Perform a patient advocacy role
- Prescribe and administer medications
- May co-ordinate or manage primary patient care.
- advanced practice nurse
- extended class registered nurse
- nurse practitioner
- General practitioners and family physicians
- Specialists in surgery
- Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses
- Specialists in clinical and laboratory medicine
- Other professional occupations in health diagnosing and treating
- Physician assistants, midwives and allied health professionals
- Date modified: