Job description Administrative Assistant - Legal in Canada
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "administrative assistant - legal" was moved from the group Legal administrative assistants (NOC 1242) to the group Legal administrative assistants (NOC 13111).
Find out what work is like for an administrative assistant - legal in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Legal administrative assistants (NOC 13111).
Legal administrative assistants
Legal administrative assistants perform a variety of secretarial and administrative duties in law offices, legal departments of large firms, real estate companies, land title offices, municipal, provincial and federal courts and government.
- Prepare and key in correspondence and legal documents, such as deeds, wills, affidavits and briefs, from handwritten copy, shorthand and machine dictation using computers
- Review and proofread documents and correspondence to ensure compliance with legal procedures and grammatical usage
- Schedule appointments, meetings and conferences for employer
- Set up and maintain filing systems, utilizing knowledge of legal records and procedures and frequently controlling confidential materials and documents
- Open and distribute regular and electronic incoming mail and other material and coordinate the flow of information internally and with other departments or organizations
- Determine and establish office procedures and routines
- May supervise and train other staff in procedures and in the use of current software
- May attend court, meetings or conferences to take notes, minutes and dictation
- May perform other general office work as required including preparing financial statements.
- administrative assistant - legal
- corporate law legal assistant
- legal assistant
- legal assistant - criminal law
- legal secretary
- litigation legal assistant
- litigation secretary
- real estate secretary
- Paralegals and related occupations
- Court reporters, medical transcriptionists and related occupations
- Correspondence, publication and regulatory clerks
- Date modified: